Home Forum Ask A Member 1959-64 3 hp fuel line

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    billy-t
    Participant

Hi there does anyone know a source for the solid copper/metal fuel lines for the older johnson 3 hp or can then be made ?

Thanks

ggoldy
      Participant

I’m thinking 1/8 inch(maybe 1/4) copper tube with compression fittings. Lowes? Home Depot? Surely Ace hardware. They wouldn’t be aluminium, would they?

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

copper for sure.

frankr
          Participant

3/16 Copper. That inverted flare fitting at the carburetor may be a challenge to find. But they should be out there somewhere.

ggoldy
            Participant

Does anyone have an example of this ‘inverted flare’. 20 years of plumbing is not helping me understand that LOL

Plumbers measure pipe as inside diameter. Everyone else measures pipe as outside diameter. Take your fuel line with you to be sure you get the right size.

A tubing cutter and a tubing bender are great tools if you plan on doing this to more than one motor.

Steve A W
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You can try to get a used one from Doug Penn.

http://penn.itgo.com/

Member of the MOB chapter.
                I live in Northwest Indiana

Mumbles
                Participant
                  quote Billy T:

Hi there does anyone know a source for the solid copper/metal fuel lines for the older johnson 3 hp or can then be made ?

Thanks

Your local auto supply should carry it in rolls.

Tube is measured by outside diameter while pipe is measured by inside diameter. It’s best to bring a sample or your fittings with you to make sure you get the right stuff.

frankr
                  Participant

quote ggoldy:

Does anyone have an example of this ‘inverted flare’. 20 years of plumbing is not helping me understand that LOL

Plumbers measure pipe as inside diameter. Everyone else measures pipe as outside diameter. Take your fuel line with you to be sure you get the right size.

A tubing cutter and a tubing bender are great tools if you plan on doing this to more than one motor.

You probably have incurred a type of inverted flare fittings on car brake lines. The end of the tube is flared, but the nut has a male thread, while a regular flare nut has a female thread. The 3hp carburetor bowl has provision to accept that inverted flare tube and nut (matching flare machined into the cavity where it goes.)

ggoldy
                    Participant
                      quote FrankR:

quote ggoldy:

You probably have incurred a type of inverted flare fittings on car brake lines. The end of the tube is flared, but the nut has a male thread, while a regular flare nut has a female thread. The 3hp carburetor bowl has provision to accept that inverted flare tube and nut (matching flare machined into the cavity where it goes.)

BRAKE LINES!!!!! Yes!!! I remember those fittings! Frank, thanks for knocking that brain cell loose. It’s rattling around up there just fine now 😆

Steve A W
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Back when I was young and dumb and thought I wanted to be an auto mech.
                        We called it a "double flare"

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
                        I live in Northwest Indiana

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.