Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 Evinrude 5.5 no neutral?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tworivers
    Participant

Hello all.
      New member here in SW PA looking for some help.
      My little 5.5 Fisherman is having an issue with neutral.
      This started after removing the power head to replace the impeller, I discovered that water was getting into the lower unit oil. So I ordered a seal kit and replaced the shift rod seal and drive shaft seal.
      I put everything back together (about 10 times now) and neutral is not where it’s supposed to be on the shift lever.
      In order to obtain neutral I need to move the shift lever ever so slightly toward forward. If I don’t the clutch dog will partially engage one of the gears (I’m thinking reverse) and clatter loudly.
      I’ve checked and double checked my assembly and everything seems to be where it’s supposed to be.
      I’ve had knowledgeable people tell me what’s happening is impossible since the shift lever, shift rod and detent lever are all synched to determine shift position.
      Really stumped, really close, I’m thinking that either I bent the shift rod when removing from the motor or I have a worn part that doesn’t look worn.
      Any help appreciated.
      thanks
      rob

tworivers
      Participant

I think I figured it out!
        I was over tightening the nut that goes onto the top of the shift rod.
        When I did this I watched as the shift lever would slightly move from forward toward neutral.
        I backed it off leaving the shift lever in it’s natural forward position then installed the other nut locking the first nut in place.
        Now I have neutral and the little blue motor lives.
        I think?
        rob

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hmmmm, I’m a little worried. The detent in the gearcase controls clutch dog positioning, there is no detent up top on the shift handle or bellcrank. So, what I’m hearing you say is the gearcase is not in neutral when the shift rod is centered into detent inside the gearcase. Loosening the locknuts slightly should not affect neutral positioning, and might just be adding slop to the linkage, which you don’t want. I’m assuming you are not concerning yourself with the visual positioning of the shift handle, it is really not important if the shift handle is perfectly vertical when in neutral. I suppose it is possible that something is binding which keeps the shift rod from centering in gearcase detent without "a little help".
          Are you sure the shift rod cradle/linkage is properly installed?
          Did you notice if this condition existed before you dismantled the gearcase? If this condition did not exist before disassembly, I would be concerned and would consider pulling it apart again.
          Sorry, hope I am wrong. Don

tworivers
          Participant

Don
            Thanks for your response.
            First, I didn’t have the problem before I took it apart to change the seals.
            Now, the sift rod is in neutral when centered into the detent inside the gear case.
            What was happening was that when over tightening the nut on top of the shift rod in forward I was lifting the shift rod slightly more than necessary, moving it out of the detent. (If that makes sense?)
            By allowing it to stay in it’s natural position within the detent all the gears seem to be where they’re supposed to be.
            Everything seems tight and seems to be working.
            I didn’t seal it up yet and put the power head back on but that’s my next move.
            I’ll post back to let you know if it works?
            One question: Does the gasket between the power head and the mid section go on dry or does it require sealant?
            thanks
            rob

chris-p
            Participant

I seal them, but in your case here, good thing you didn’t yet, lol!

tworivers
              Participant

"Are you sure the shift rod cradle/linkage is properly installed?"

Any description or photos of proper installation?
                I’m getting the same advise from people more skilled than I that something’s not right.
                Going to hold off putting it back together for now.
                Hope to figure things out, any help appreciated.
                thanks
                rob

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Rob-
                  Tightening the locknuts more on top of the shift rod would only move the shift lever/handle in one direction or the other. There is no detent on the shift handle lever itself that would hold the shift rod slightly in/out of gear. The detent is in the gearcase. Again, if something is binding in the shift lever/bellcrank, that may cause the problem you are describing. Did you replace the shift rod bushing/oring? If so, I am assuming you removed the shift rod bushing in the gearcase. It may be possible that the shift rod is binding in the shift rod/bushing which could cause the symptom you are experiencing as well.
                  You mention that this problem did NOT exist before you dismantled the gearcase. You may not have gotten the clutch dog cradle and fork improperly positioned. Did you get both of the forward reverse gear thrust washers back in place? These washers tend to stick in place due to the oil film present between the gear and washer, they can fall out during parts cleaning though. If one or both of these washers were missing, the clutch dog positioning would be off and might cause the problem you are having as well.
                  Unfortunately, one thing is for sure, running the engine with the gearcase improperly assembled will create more damage, especially to the clutch dog and gear lugs.

tworivers
                  Participant

Fleetwin,
                    Thank you very much for your well thought out reply.
                    You bring up some very good points worth considering.
                    I did replace the shift shaft seal. I used the hex head (the part that goes into the drill chuck) of a drill bit extension to knock the bushing out.
                    After removing the busing I noticed that the bushing had the hex shape of the extension impressed on one side slightly disfiguring the hole that the shaft rides through. The other side was not affected so when I put the bushing back in I flipped it over with the hex side facing up.
                    I figured the new o ring under the bushing would guide the shift shaft?
                    Could I have disfigured the bushing enough to cause binding there?
                    I’m debating whether to replace the bushing or try to clean it up and re-install.
                    Good call on the washers. The rear one did fall off but I found it and re-installed.
                    I’ve owned 11 outboards over the years but this was my first and the one I’ve held onto. It’s always been the smoothest running motor. It’s lasted all these years. I wouldn’t want something stupid I did to cause it harm.
                    thanks again
                    rob

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, you may have distorted the ID on the bushing causing the shift rod to bind. I’m not sure I understand just how you removed the bushing, there is a special tool made for removal/installation of that bushing, Frank Robb may still have some to sell. Where do you live? Perhaps there is a member in your area who can lend you the tool. It will be tough to judge if the bushing is binding while the gearcase is assembled because it requires considerable effort to overcome the internal detent. Does it seem hard to rock the shift handle back/forth slightly? Go ahead and retighten those shift rod locknuts properly and try rocking the shift handle/lever. Driving the shift rod bushing in too far may have caused the oring to swell which may cause binding as well.
                      The other issue which may be hard to judge is whether or not the clutch dog fork linkage is correctly positioned into the cradle/collar that rides on the clutch dog. If you decide to disassemble the gearcase again, I would flip it over before removing the shift rod pivot screw and skeg. With the gearcase inverted, remove the pivot screw and the skeg screws. Now, gently tap the skeg off with a soft mallet so the positioning of the fork/cradle won’t be disturbed, it should be fairly clear if the metal fork prongs are properly positioned into the ears of the aluminum clutch dog collar. Another problem may be that the metal fork linkage got distorted from improperly assembly, or perhaps trying to force shift when the clutch dog/gear lugs weren’t lined up properly.

tworivers
                      Participant

Trying to answer your questions;
                        I live near Pittsburgh, PA.
                        It doesn’t seem like the shift rod is binding as it’s easy to shift with the shift lever.
                        I’ll disassemble again and tap with a rubber mallet and note the position of the shift dog.
                        I don’t remember force shifting but the metal fork linkage and or the shift rod itself may have become distorted while removing it from the original bushing?
                        Thank you for your response.
                        Still at it.
                        One question:
                        Three is an ear or tab on the front gearcase shaft bearing. It seems to be able to lock in either up or down directions. Does it lock into the mid section or the gear cover?
                        rob

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.