Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 fisherman 5.5 help

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    cookjer24
    Participant

so ipreviously posted that i need new plug wires they came in put them on and i get intermitten spark on the top cylinder…some times i get spark at low rpm but once i hit quarter or above spark goes away..now after swaping everything from good side to bad except coils i get spark every so often but mainly top cyclinder is dead…coil looks brand new…any help would be appreciated.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

clean the points and adjust again

coils look new means not very much if they are old they may arc to the mag plate get new ones if unsure

the cheap one work for me… go to eBay USA for U$$$

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-Ignition-Coil-For-Johnson-Evinrude-OMC-Replaces-584477-0584477-582995-0582995/332523397956?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180124145912%26meid%3D70cf475395e64de7bf6ac398bc29be10%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D333003997735%26itm%3D332523397956&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Be sure that upper spark plug wire is fully inserted in the coil as far as it will go so spark can’t leak out to surrounding metal. Also be sure the spark plug wire is absolutely clean where it goes into the coil . Spark will follow dirt and grease to any ground metal.
          Dave

cookjer24
          Participant

i cleaned and adjusted pionts about hundred times..plug wire is all the way in cant screw it any tighter…wires are new..i might swap coils see if it moves to lower cylinder if it doesnt i’m going to be amazed…could pionts be arching out on that side..everything was replaced 3 years ago when i bought it except plug wires wich i just changed.stranded copper 7mm wire..

bayham3261
            Participant

I didn’t read your other post… Are you using good plugs? I’ve had a defective new plug give me similar issues before on an atv. Swapped out the plug for another confirmed good plug and all was solved.

A little information is a dangerous thing!

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

test for sparks without a sparkplug …just insert a screw backwards in the boot and hold hit near the frame .5 inch it should jump or use a air gap spark tester

try running the engine in the dark…. look for jumping/arcing high voltage along wires etc…

test the magnets to see if they hold or pull hard on a screwdriver

what is the ohms readings on the HV secondaries between boot and frame ground (wiggle boot clip while testing you should read 4-7Kohms depending on coil type)

try adding a test ground wire between the mag plate and the engine body creating a good return path for the HV

if you have spare condensers swap out the one on the top set of points ….. if not interchange the condensers since the bottom one is known to work ok

keep (tuck) coil wires away from rotating shaft

clean points with an acetone/carb cleaner wetted business card

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
                • This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
                JOHN HOLBIK
                Participant

Check to see if your coil heel is hitting on the flywheel .magnet

cookjer24
                  Participant

nothing hitting…switched condesores still same problem…plugs arew 3 years old but good..i used an inline spark checker spark goes away at just off high idle…going to switch coils see if problem moves to lower cylinder…and i will test coil..as for cleaning pionts i use 600 grit sand paper clear clean..set at 20 thou..when it is working at idle i tested spark strength had spark arching out to about half inch before it would start to break up.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

seems that the most “variable” elements here are increased vibrations & the points (assuming good coil, condenser , plug wire, booth and sparkplug)

have you checked for arcing , tried new points , grounded the mag plate , clean and repunched the plug clip , measured the HV secondary resistance with coils in place

cookjer24
                      Participant

so i took coil off and tested it on my meter…i’m getting 03.3 when touching the green and black wires and nothing when touching each wire and the coil output.so i’m guessing i need a new coil.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 68 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.