Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 fisherman 5.5 help

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

primary should be very low resistance few ohms…at best does your 03.3 mean 3.3 ohms ???????????? please reconfirm

ground wire to secondary HV pin should read around 4-7 k ohms… make certain you are using & reading the proper scale compare both coils secondary if made by the same manuf. coils should be close in ohms readings

in any event the secondary should NOT BE OPEN which could…allow some sparking but indicates a broken winding … not good imho

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

cookjer24
      Participant

um i got a fluke meter digital set to ohm..when i touch positive to the green wire and black to the black wire i get any where from 01.2 too 10 it reads diff every time i do it…now if i wiggle the green wire and put the negative wire from meter on the coil output i get reading from nothing too 1.234 up to 20 then slowly goes down too around 1.5 same if i touch the red wire from meter to black wire on coil and black wire from meter to out put on coil it just bounces around

cookjer24
        Participant

dissregard that lol i get no reading i was acidently touching the leads with my fingers and was getting a reading…i do not get any reading when i touch red wire from meter to grenn wire on coil and black wire from meter to coil out put..but i do get a reading of 01.0 too 01.1 if i touch red wire from meter to green and balck wire to black wire on coil

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Secondary is open (NG) assuming you have your meter set to a suitable range to measure a few k-ohms.

cookjer24
            Participant

it is set to ohms i think it auto detects..but i did switch between two funtions m and k and same thing happened

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

HV pin to either low primary wires (black or green) should show 4-7 kilo ohms if not coil is open inside it could be open anywhere and arc internally during higher RPMS

in theory the faster the magnet fly by the coils the more ” kick” is generated when the fields build up and collapse later this can boost the HV enough for internal arcing

when you solve the problem and in conclusion if a new coil solves your problem you should do some coil surgery . the arcing point should show a blackening surface somewhere inside the coil . The HV pin may just… pull out

btw…. what does your “good coil” give results wise…

cookjer24
                Participant

i ordered a new coil was 24.99 and at this point i dont want to mess with the good firing cylinder lol if it not broke dont fix it or mess with it is what my father told me long time ago and i’m sticking to that..coil has to be bad i get nothing on the out put side of coil not even continuity.

cookjer24
                  Participant

interesting i was looking at coil and there is a very small line of the sealer or opoxy from the back side that ran down the coil it is very clear didnt see that till i looked at it real close. how do i get inside the coil to look at stuff.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

try a hammer to crack the case ….

burnt wires , inner varnish coating will be apparent where arcing took place

glad to see you are making headway …..I also have a 59 5.5hp Golden Jubile ready to try out in a few weeks

as to the measurements on the other coil you just need to pull the boot and measure in place… no need to dismantle 🙂

from the boot spring clip to the engine body (any shiny non painted surface will do ) should see 4-7 kohms

cookjer24
                      Participant

i will go check little later and see..i will wait to crack open the coil till i get the new one and it running how it should..i love my golden gubilee these motors are so smooth and quit…not to mention it pushes my 12 foot boat with me and gear an extra 200 pounds worth lol at 13 mph not bad for a little 5.5hp vintage motor

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 68 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.