1959 fisherman 5.5 help

Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 fisherman 5.5 help

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 68 total)

• cookjer24

Replies: 52
    Topics: 7

sorry guys i havnt got around to working on the old motor yet…last few weeks been super busy moving my brother to a new home..and i inhabited a 05 f150 that sat for 2.5 years so been working on the truck to get it up and on the road again these 05 f150’s are gold pits stay away from them lol…i will report back when i digg into motor again and try a ground wire hooked to the mag plate hopfully it will be soon i need to get on the water..

cookjer24

update…took thing apart went through it dozen times again today..nothing works but lightly pushing down on the graduated plate that moves the throttle..i hooked up a ground wire too the mahe plate had every where on the motor no diff loses spark on the top cylinder at around half throttle and up..just sick to me stamock on this why is it doing this..nothing in the mag plate seems to be to worn or floppy…i even shimmed up the flywheel and that made it worse..seems like the mag plate needs to go farther down but it cant.can’t find anything online iether about this problem.any more thoughts

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

bummer about the ground suggestion…you need somebody to look at his close up .. you must be missing something …no offense

maybe if you posted some close up pics we could at least … look at it

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Like Frank says, check the mag plate for excessive up/down and sideways slop….Point setting and coil air gap will be affected and might be causing your problem. One more question…. Do you have the aluminum beveled/threaded mag plate retainer oriented correctly? The beveled edge of the aluminum retainer should be pointing down towards the gearcase….

eviltwin

Replies: 98
    Topics: 5

Just a crazy thought, can you (safely) crank it over or start it in a dark place and see if it is shorting? Might be able to see it arc in the dark. Also, is the hold down clamp for the wires too tight? Looks like one of the wires is smushed a bit.

cookjer24

have no clue what you mean by aluminum mag plate retainer never messed with anything like that took mag plate off and put new wires on coils is all i did and change points put back together same way it come apart…and there is a lil bit of play in it but nothing bad….have no way to upload photos dont know how i tried and couldn’t figure it out.i can make a vid if you all like and post it on my you tube channel..i’m at a loss for words on this i get spark by just putting my finger on the graduated piece that controls throttle position like no force at all…and at this time i have no way to run it in the dark unless i do it out side wich i can do some time ..and never mind found out how to do it i think

pic1

pic2

pic3

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.

cookjer24

these three pics are when i first pulled it apart to change wires did that because 1 it needed it and thought that was the no fire problem

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

OK, you never removed the brass retaining ring under the mag plate, so you could not have flipped the aluminum retaining ring upside down… I’m not sure I understand what you are touching to make the engine spark on both cylinders, so am at a loss also. Showing us on a video would be great, just post the link to your youtube channel…Don

fisherman6

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1702
    Topics: 34

By chance were there matching blackened spots on the bottom of the coils when you removed them that lined up to the blackened spots under the coils on the mag plate? Those spots are indicative of spark leaking to ground through the case of the coil. They could be left over from earlier / original coils when they were breaking down if that was never cleaned out when the replacement coils were put in.
    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

cookjer24

yes never removed mounting plate and the little graduated piece that is bolted to the mag plate that controls throttle on the carb is what i’m talking about…and the spots where there already.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.