Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 fisherman 5.5 help

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

So pushing down on the throttle cam results in spark on both cylinders? Maybe excessive play in the mag plate or just a bad ground?

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by bobw.
      cookjer24
      Participant

yes pushing down on the plate the spark comes back for the top cylinder the bottom cylinder fires just fine…problem is with the top but only does it at around half throttle and up…top cylinder fires when at low rpm like it should

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

try adding one or two spacer washers on the back bolts holding the mag plate to the retainer ring

this may force a tilting down of the mag plate whish is solving your problem when you do it manually

i know sounds crazy and may cause other problems but try out… nothing to loose

start with one washers then try a second if no success with one

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The top of that crankcase looks pretty oily….Was the mag plate all oily when you first dug into it? I know we have spoke about a sloppy mag plate, but you are saying that is not the case….Perhaps the upper bushing/crank is work making it sloppy. Can you move the crank side to side?

cookjer24
            Participant

it wasnt too oily i wiped what i could off been like that since i bought 3 years ago..so what you are saying is shim the bottom cylinder mag plate side to try and tilt the front cylinder mag plate side down a lil bit..cant i just take a brass punch and hammer down the big retianer ring that holds the mag plate retainer that i would think move the mag plate down a lil bit farther or should i not mess with that.

Mumbles
              Participant

Your spark returns to the mag plate thru the top of the brass retainer ring which is also a support bearing for the plate and also thru the center bearing which the plate rotates on. These areas must be free of any corrosion or buildup of any kind which can impede the electrical flow. Lightly sanding the inside of the plates bearing surface and other contact surfaces will help to ensure a good electron flow. Don’t bend or deform the brass plate.

To determine if the plate is too loose, try wiggling one edge of it up and down while holding the opposite edge still. A good fitting plate will hardly move at all while a loose one will flop around quite noticeably.

If it isn’t poor grounding causing the spark issue, I’d then suspect internal breaks or shorts in the plug wires or poor connections on the ends of them.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
                fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I thought he had already tried grounding the mag plate, perhaps I misread the post….Nonetheless, your theory of a loose/misrouted plug lead makes sense….

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if it was me….

I would really clean up the whole oily looking mess of an engine……… certainly any part carrying electrical currents ..as suggested redo all connections from coil up to the boots clips… if need be install new boots with metallic wire crimped & folded back under the clips as suggested by mumbles

shine up.. polish all contact points and/or surfaces (retainer ring…… mag support plate coil grounds ( scrape all connection points and use star.. lock washers to bite into mating surfaces ) reinspect the mag plate plug wire routing

swap that lower coil/condenser/point kit to the top cyl position …we know it is good and never causes a problem

remeasure the coil secondaries for 4-7kohms from the boots to frame…. wiggle everything while measuring … see if it cuts out

reassemble the whole thing dry … no greases ..oil as a test … and keep that mag plate grounded as insurance

realign the coil edges on the mag plate

find a way to run that engine in the dark…3 a.m. if need be ………… look for arcing anywhere at high rpm when it fails

if all else fails make a nice trolling motor out of it !

..patience brings joy

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
                    cookjer24
                    Participant

ok i got back on the motor…so i took it all apart cleaned up all the oil there was a bit packed up under the mag plate hold down the big one…put back together and now it run even worse than it did now the bottom has no spark at idle…but i took it apart again getting really good at it only takes me 5 min to tear aprt lol…and in pic you can see the bushing does have a small gap could this be my whole problem..i’m thinking of puting some really small thin pieces of copper in between it to make it a lil tighter do you think it will work or ruin it more…other than the litlle gap ii’m loss of words why it wont work and just about ready to throw it out…

cookjer24
                      Participant

pic of the mag plate hold down around the bushing..i pushed the hold down to the left to make it flush on the right to show the lil bit of gap in the bushing.

SUNP0005

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 68 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.