Home Forum Ask A Member 1960 Evinrude 10hp fuel pump

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rjoynt
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have a bad fuel pump. Looking to find the proper pump. It looks like it is a 388685 OEM pump. No rebuild kit. But it looks like a Sierra fuel pump 18-7350. I called MarineEngine.com and they said there is a difference between the two. They look very similar. The mounting screws are exactly 1-1/2" apart.
      Thanks in advance

Bob

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Bob-
        Yes, the screw holes may be the same, but it is all in the orientation of the pump housing. Most of the little OMC pumps have a raised indicator saying "up", this indicator must be facing upward in order for the pump to work right. The fuel pump mounting holes are oriented differently on different engines. So, I am thinking that the orientation of the inner workings is different on the two pumps you are looking at.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Some parts are interchangeable and some are not. Note almost all use the same base gasket

frankr
          Participant

The inlet fitting can be re-oriented in any of four positions. However, you are stuck with which way the outlet fitting points. Maybe it will be ok by re-routing the hose, I don’t know without having it in front of me.

Personally, I’d pay the few extra bucks for the 18-7351, and re-rout the hoses as necessary. It is a much simpler pump than that nightmare square one therfor easier to repair if it ever needs it..

rjoynt
            Participant

Well, I have both in stock. I like the idea of using the18-7351. The inlet fitting can be adjusted to any position. Looks like a much beefier pump. Time for a Miller so will do it tomorrow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.