Home Forum Ask A Member 1960 Evinrude 10HP model 10020 shift adapter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    todd281
    Participant

I own a Evinrude model 10020 and I am trying to find out if there was a adapter, to hook a teleflex type shifting cable to it . I have the clip attached directly to the carry handle but that puts the end of the teleflex at a really weird angle. It looks like there ought to be another bracket in there to straighten out the cable in relation to the shift lever. Does any here know if that was the case? maybe a part # ? Thanks in advance

Mumbles
      Participant

The part you want is #34 in this diagram and it fastens under the front of the lower pan. Being delicate, they are easily broken off. Johnsons of the era used a similar bracket.

60-10

59-Evinrude-Shift-Cable-Brkt

59-QD-Shift-Bracket

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Isn’t that bracket there already? Perhaps it is broken off….

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yep, part number 307469. They are model-specific. marineengine.com has them at a reasonable price.

todd281
            Participant

Here is a picture of what I have, perhaps my bracket [#34] is bent. As you can see there is a bit of sideways force on the shifting lever , it almost feels like I could install the quick connect pin through the shifting lever from the motor side.

10hp-shifter

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
              frankr
              Participant

Looks to me like the plastic casing guide on the end of the cable is warped. Or is it just me?

todd281
                Participant

That casing is not warped, the bracket is putting enough side ways pressure on it to bend it . hence the question here. I thought perhaps I was missing another piece of the puzzle but mow it looks like that bracket must be misshapen .

frankr
                  Participant

I suppose it must be bent then. Usually they just break.

But FYI there are two kinds of the stainless steel lock that holds the cable to the bracket. The difference is the width of the slots that the cable trunion (plastic adjusting wheel) fits into. The old narrow slots are for the old non-adjustable trunnion, and the wide ones are for the adjustable plastic one like you have. I can’t decide if you have the correct one or not. But it’s in there, so I reckon it must the right one (?).

Mumbles
                    Participant

The mounting bracket may be bent out of alignment. I do have one of these models put away and will check it for alignment later today and compare it to yours.

Mumbles
                      Participant

I managed to get a photo of my motors bracket but it isn’t much help as the bracket is bent and pointing skyward. It has probably taken a fall or been transported laying down on the shifter side.

DSC00137-1

DSC00139-1

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.