1960 Evinrude 10HP model 10020 shift adapter

Home Forum Ask A Member 1960 Evinrude 10HP model 10020 shift adapter

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)

• fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

I think the problem is that someone has changed the shift handle, that is not the right one for the 59-60 bread box Evinrudes…The one shown on your engine is from a 61-63 10hp with the newer cowl/cover design….Changing that shift handle is pretty simple on this engine….Or, perhaps you could just have an aluminum block made up that would push the control cable outwards a bit to conform better with the later model shift handle….
    Looks like a nice motor though!

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Good eye, fleetwin. Correct handle is 278025.

Capture3

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Frank, means a lot coming from you…..

todd281

Replies: 120
    Topics: 52

And so another outboard mystery is solved. I will try to get my hands on the correct shifting handle . Until then , I think I will make up either a spacer or perhaps a wedge to correct the angle of the end of the cable. Thanks to all for all the help. [and for the complement on this outboard ] Its not original, I sanded, etched, primed, and painted it, then applied new decals. Of course new impeller replaced the gear lube, just regular stuff that I do to all my outboards.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years

Looks real nice, wish I had cosmetic restoration talents….My paint jobs come out look like someone put the paint on with a roller, until it starts peeling off again!

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years

I’m looking at your pictures again….maybe the photos are deceiving….Admittedly, that is the wrong shift handle, but it appears to be tight against the lower motor cover. The correct shift handle is thicker, and almost appears that it might push the shift cable out even farther…..Again, maybe I am being fooled by the photo….
    This engine has been restored, is it possible that someone put the wrong shift cable bracket on it as well? Later model 10hps use a different cable mounting bracket. I don’t know if the later bracket would even fit on the older engine, but I guess it is possible.
    I only mention this because I don’t want you to go through a big expense finding the correct shift handle, only to find the same condition exists….Fortunately, changing the shift handle is easy, no powerhead removal required. But, changing the shift cable bracket does involve powerhead removal….I certainly wouldn’t go through all this trouble and expense on an engine you have just restored cosmetically….I would just have a nice aluminum extension piece made up the current shift cable bracket….D

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years

One more thing, sorry….Please recheck shift cable and shift lever adjustments after making these repairs….I surely don’t want to read about clutch dog issues after you make corrections on the shift cable bracket/lever….

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years

OK, found some pictures that make me more comfortable saying that it is just the improper shift handle causing this issue:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s-Evinrude-Sportwin-10hp-Outboard-Boat-Motor/254225311716?hash=item3b310267e4:g:pBIAAOSwOzBc0-HM
    These ebay pictures show that though the original style shift handle is thicker, it has a “cut out” where the cable connects that is tucked in close to the engine pan….
    Sorry to “waffle” on this issue…Don

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.