Home Forum Ask A Member 1960 Johnson CD-17 5.5hp seahorse

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    stepover55
    Participant

Would anyone be able to post a photo of how the manual pull choke knob/arm is assembled on a 1960 Johnson CD-17 5.5hp seahorse? Thanks

Doug Wilson
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have a 59 cd16 will try and get pictures after work tomorrow

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
        turned off?

Doug Wilson
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think it just has a long flat head screw am thinking 8×32 but could be 6×32 threads directly into the arm on the carb that opens and closes the choke . The choke handle has a curved end which seats on the curved part of the arm a nd the screw threads into it

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
          turned off?

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Screw 2 holds knob 3 to extension 7 fastened to choke control plate 62 held in place by spring 58 – hope this helps.

. . . . . 😉

david-bartlett
            Participant

Garry is the best!

stepover55
              Participant

Hi all. Thanks for the diagram Garry. I found out that the broken part,(found it in the engine shroud), was the end tab of the choke shaft. (#25 on your diagram). $48 @ marineengine.com. However, I was able to pick up a reconditioned carb that’s perfect for $29.50 on ebay! Needle valves are perfect! So… got the head off, looks good, pistons are fine, powerhead’s off, shift linkage is disconnected and I’m ready to pull the lower end off to cange the impeller. Got the old coils, points & condensers off then pulled the armature plate off. Just received all the new ignition parts, carb kit, plugs & 5′ of solid core ignitionwire as well as a new impeller with various "O" rings, washers & a seal or 2. Changed the lower end gear oil, looked fine, (not brown & soapy!). Just cleaning it up befoere I reasemble and wondering what kind of lube goes on the plate that the armature plate sits on. Right now it feels like some thick grease. There’s no oil leaking & the cam is fine. I read in my SELOC manual that it’s not necessary to remove the armature plate unless you’re replacing the top seal or the coil. Both are fine. Just wanted to clean things up a bit. Do I need to apply grease to the cam or any surrounding parts before I place the armature plate back on?

stepover55
                Participant

Check that! #63 on the diagram

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.