Home Forum Ask A Member 1960 Lark II 40 HP

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ken Smith
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I just picked up this motor. Its in nice shape and I’ll be working on it over the winter. It has the water choke and a generator.These are the two things I have yet to work on but I’ve heard both are finicky.Thoughts and comments on this baby would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ken

www.kenadianoutboards.com

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The water heated choke works well for many people. The rest of us simply flip it to manual choke-on to cold start it, then flip it to manual choke-off for the rest of the day.

Did you get the junction box and voltage regulator with the motor?

Ken Smith
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Yes the choke I’m not too concerned about. As far as the junction box goes I have my original from my old ’58 Lark but I don’t think it has the voltage regulator in it. I’m thinking of taking the generator out as I heard they are not really that great at charging the battery. Especially at low speed?

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

They are great at charging the battery, putting out 10 Amps. Compare to 5 or 6 amps for most modern motors. BUT it does not put out anything below a fast idle. That seems to stick in some people’s craw. I do agree, if you don’t really need the generator, why spend the big bucks fixing it.

Ken Smith
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks Frank. I probably will remove the generator. Not worth the hassle.Otherwise this one looks like a winner. I’m hoping anyway.

amuller
              Participant

Opinion: It’s in the nature of a generator, as opposed to an alternator, to have lower output at low speeds. This was a big reason cars were switched over to alternators: In some usage patterns, like short winter trips at low speeds, the generator might not keep up but an alternator would.

The same is true of your motor. Some usage, such as prolonged trolling with lights and electronics running, the generator might not keep up. For more usual zipping around it might be fine. If you just want to start the motor a few times during an afternoon no need for a generator. Often, they were optional. So it depends on how you plan to use the motor.

The generator/regulator system isn’t unreasonably complex. The main issue is the regulator. Old auto repair manuals from the 50s-60s give details on how they work and how to adjust them. I understand there are solid state replacement regulators (for old Harley-Davidson bikes?) that may work well. The multi-pin connector may also be an issue.

So there are lots of ways you can go, depending on your electrical expertise and how much you want to preserve the original configuration of the motor, and how you plan to use it.

chris-p
                Participant

Ken,

Hope all is well.

I can help you with the parts you may need. As stated, I have substituted Harley Regulators that work out well. If you have the oversize box, and the generator, you may as well use it!

Ken Smith
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Thanks Chris. I shall keep you in mind. Hope all is good with you as well!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.