Home Forum Ask A Member 1960 Merc100 Do i need a title?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Titan
    Participant

Hi all i have a 1960 Merc100 it’s in great shape and i need to know before selling if i need a title since it’s 10hp and pre 1963

bobw
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Depends on your particular state’s requirements. Some states require titles, others don’t.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

amuller
        Participant

Depends on the jurisdiction. In Minnesota, as far as I have seen, people bother with titles for some boats, depending on size and age, and for trailers. I’m not aware that anybody bothers with titles for motors, or that the state issues them.

outbdnut2
          Participant

Yeah – in Minnesota, motors aren’t titled; and they don’t care much about titles for older boats. I’ve licensed two boats (1957 and 1974) that I bought in Wisconsin without anything but a written bill of sale, and one was done on a napkin at a garage sale! Minnesota is picky about trailers because they are used on highways. I bought a trailer out of Wisconsin (Wisconsin doesn’t license boat trailers so there was no paperwork to be had!) , and the napkin receipt wasn’t enough, but then an older gal at the registrar’s desk overheard us and gave me a form to fill out saying it was homemade – I told her it wasn’t but any VIN or serial number was long gone. She said to fill out the form as if I’d made it and she issued me a title and license.

Now that some of these newer big motors can cost up to $20 grand, maybe some of those should be licensed/titled??!!
            Dave

lindy46
            Participant

Tennessee registers boats but not outboards or trailers. No titles on smaller boats and outboards. You don’t need a license plate on a boat trailer.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by lindy46.
              amuller
              Participant

Thing is, in Minnesota, that boat paperwork is handled by the Department of Natural Resources and trailers are handled by the Department of Public Safety. There are lots of rules and regs, but I think the state does try to strike a balance between discouraging theft and enabling boats with lost paperwork to get back into the system ….

I have noticed that the information on boat titles and registrations is frequently wrong. Wrong manufacturer, wrong length, etc. And trailers are often enough titled as homemade that obviously are not, because this is the easiest way to get it done.

Alan

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Michigan does not title outboards either. Boats 20 feet and over with permanently affixed engines are titled, otherwise only registration. Trailers over 2500lbs curb weight are titled. Below that, they are registration only.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.