Home Forum Ask A Member 1960s Evinrude 6 hp Fisherman

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    mgsolakis
    Participant

I was having spark issues on my 6 hp but I had a parts engine with a blown bottom cyl with good spark on both cyls. I transfered the mag plate from the good spark engine to the poor spark engine. But after making the switch and testing spark I don’t have spark on the top cyl. I’ve never done this before – What could have happened?

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Most problems are from poor contact through the breaker points …
        Assuming the coils are not cracked
        . . . . 🙄

mgsolakis
        Participant

So maybe something moved in transition?

thepetrolist
          Participant

That is of course possible but you should check, check, and re-check everything on that mag plate. Set the points, check the coil gap etc. It is possible that those engines have worn in use differently which would result in for example the points opening differently.

enrico-italy
            Participant
              quote mgsolakis:

I was having spark issues on my 6 hp but I had a parts engine with a blown bottom cyl with good spark on both cyls. I transfered the mag plate from the good spark engine to the poor spark engine. But after making the switch and testing spark I don’t have spark on the top cyl. I’ve never done this before – What could have happened?

Swap the flywheels and the timing cam also…

mgsolakis
              Participant

What is the timing cam?

wedgie
                Participant

The timing cam is that lobed piece with a hole with a key way in it that that fits over the crankshaft . It opens the points as the crankshaft turns. As others have said, check the points gap, and make sure the contacts are shiny clean.

david-bartlett
                  Participant

The timing cam is the round piece that fits over the crankshaft, that the rubbing block on the end of the point arm rubs on. It has a high spot on it which causes the points to open at the right time.

mr-asa
                    Participant

I’m not sure why swapping the timing cam and flywheel would help.

He had spark on one cylinder with the other mag plate, that indicates that those two pieces are operating as they should. The fact that he had spark on one cylinder even indicates that the timing cam is installed the right way up (mgsolakis, it can be installed upside down.) If it were upside down it would open the points when the magnet was in the wrong spot so it wouldn’t spark.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but it makes sense to me.

enrico-italy
                      Participant

The points plate, the flywheel and the cam works together to reach the correct timing and current

If on the old motor the magneto system works fine, simply put it completely on the new motor.

I had a similar problem on a early ’70 Fisherman 6. Spark on both cilynder but simply not enough power.

Swapped the flywheels, all became ok.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.