Home Forum Ask A Member 1960’s Johnson 60hp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Bartlett
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

While I usually play with older motors, I have a 1964 boat that needs a motor.

I am going to look at a 60’s Johnson 60hp V-4 today.

Any thoughts on what to look for besides my sanity.

Thanks in advance.

David Bartlett
      Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

lindy46
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Pretty heavy and gas hungry motors. We upgraded our 1960 40hp Lark to a 1964 Sportfour on our 14′ Glasspar and it didn’t improve performance much. A little more powerful but alot thirstier.

outbdnut2
        Participant

Dad bought V4 60 new in 1965 and put it on his 14′ Aluminum Crestliner Voyager that was rated for 60 HP. With a 12 inch prop and me alone in it, trimmed up, it did 41 MPH, and 38 with an 11 inch prop. (I only weighed 150 then as a teenager). I learned to ski barefoot behind that boat. Downside was it was a lot of weight on the back of a light boat, so you had to know what you were doing to drive it, because the weight of motor +battery+gas at the rear messed up handling. It was no longer a boat we could let just anyone drive, like we could with the previous 40 HP. We used it a lot for skiing and it used less gas than the 1960 40 Johnson it replaced – probably because the 40 was run at WOT most of the time, and worked harder to pull up skiers and plane off, although I was able to routinely pull three teenage gals out of the water on two skis with that 40. The 40 (don’t know what prop it had) had a top speed on that boat on high trim of 33 MPH. Keep in mind those old speedometers were anything but accurate, but numbers I’ve given for the 60 and the 40 were with the same speedometer.

We ran the he!! out of that motor, running about 200 gallons of gas each summer for almost 20 years before trading it for a used I/O. It was often abused, run at highest trim setting, cavitating to high RPMs on quick corners, etc. It was bulletproof, but it was the same basic design as 75 and 90 HPs and maybe bigger ones yet, just smaller cylinders, so most of the parts were designed for much more HP. I only had to replace the normal stuff – spark plugs, fuel pump diaphragm, impeller, and once I replaced the distributor rotor. We ran SAE 30 non-detergent oil at 40 to1 with no problems.

As you check out that motor, look at the distributor cap inside and out – they are no longer available and if you can find one, it will likely cost a mint if it’s new. Note that the early V4 60s still had adjustable high speed carb jets – nice! Of course – look for the wiring, ignition key switch and solenoid box to be included. On motors of that vintage, I ask what gas/oil mix has been used and if they say 100 to 1 – I walk away.
          Dave
          An old photo (1968) of the 60 on the Crestliner:

Boats1968

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by outbdnut2.
          frankr
          Participant

Same basic motor as a 75 of the same year. Smaller pistons and carburetor. It’l run within a MPH or two same speed as a 75, on less gas. They were spec’d 50:1 mix with no problem.

David Bartlett
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks to all for the replies. I am going to pass on this one. Has been stored outside under a tarp for a while and mice have moved in.

Turned out to be a VXH-12 long shaft. (1966)

Has the controls and manuals and the owner really just wants it gone.

Too big for me after looking at it up close.

Located in Western Maine if anyone has an interest.

David Bartlett
              Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.