Home Forum Ask A Member 1961 Gale Buccaneer 15 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    mark weaver
    Participant

I have just bought a 61 gale 15 hp. It was not pumping water so put a new impeller in and when I removed the lower unit the copper water tube pulled out of the upper grommet not the lower at the water pump. I have put it back together TWICE, a little water the first time, no water the next time. I put a NEW rubber grommet in the upper end of the tube and when I assemble it is shoves the rubber grommet up into the hole AND the upper hole does NOT go straight up, or I mean it is off set. If you look in the hole it just ends above the grommet and is off set and then goes on up to the power head. The copper tube is cut on a slash, does that slash have to face a certain way?? I have done a dozen or more OMC motors and NEVER had any problem like this…the impeller is right and is installed to turn clockwise, there is nothing wrong there. There is NO plugs below the pump. Has anyone done one of these motors and have you had any trouble with the water tube?

bobw
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

The end of the copper tube with the angled cut should be at the bottom, connecting to the water pump outlet.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

mark weaver
        Participant

Yes, I was wondering that but I put it back together the way it came out AND I know the old Evinrude’s had the slash at the bottom. Obviously I am not the first in there. It must have worked one time, the old impeller was wore out and it has 103 lbs compression in BOTH cylinders and NO paint burnt of the back of the power head. Thank you for your response Bob. I will switch it tomorrow, I don’t know how I am going to get that tube to go in that grommet, especially with a sierra grommet, the ears on those to hold them in place don’t fit the little holes properly, but I am nothing if not persistent!!

frankr
          Participant

The tube should slip into the grommet with ease if you lubricate it. Can’t comment on the sierra part, but the ears SHOULD hold it.

On a different matter, the lower crankshaft seal on those motors is junk. if it fails, it will destroy the motor. I strongly suggest replacing it before it happens.

mark weaver
            Participant

Thanks frank, that is good to know, I am planning on removing the power head IF I can get the screws out, they are VERY rusted.
              The water tube has been ANYTHING but easy so far…it DOES NOT slide in on either end easy and it is well greased. I had to pull the bottom end of the tube out by lightly clamping vise grips on the tube and pull like H…! I have cleaned the tube with emery cloth….no help. I have NEVER came across ANYTHING like this on these old motors.

Mumbles
              Participant

The cast in place water tube never does seem to line up perfectly with the opening for the grommet. Not to worry as it will flow enough water and the offset also acts as a stop for the copper tube. The copper tube will bottom out against the casting when its pushed into the grommet.

A silicon based grease such as Sil-Glyde brake lubricant works wonders helping to seat the upper grommet properly. Removing any corrosion from the bore and running a proper size drill bit thru both holes for the grommets tabs will also help. If everything is clean and lubed, the grommet should install quite easily if you have an installation tool. The retaining tabs have to be fully seated in their holes or it will be next to impossible to slide the copper tube in.

Here’s an installation tool I made out of some 5/8″ round Acetal plastic. The grommet fits on the end and it is relieved to allow the tabs to fold in while its being pushed into its bore. A little bit of silicon grease, a little push and a wiggle to make sure the tabs are properly seated and you are done.

DSC00020-1

DSC00021

This photo is of the lower crank seal on these motors. Like Frank said, they weren’t the best design and it should be replaced while the powerhead is off. Might as well do the upper seal to while you’re at it.

63-Viking-15-Lower-Seal

frankr
                Participant

Gotta love your insertion tool. I bought the factory tool back in “the Day”. It didn’t work worth a hoot, so I’ve been using the poke and prod method ever since.

mark weaver
                  Participant

Thanks for the help guys. I would mortgage the house right now for that tool there Mumbles! I am ready to tackle it again today. A little access plate to that top grommet would have been a STELLER idea in my opinion. I was thinking of wrapping a few winds of tape around the tube down about 3/4 of an inch but it did NOT have that when it was MADE and it worked. I don’t was tape coming off in there. I don’t know if that tube is original, I can’t see there being a difference in the diameter anyway, it looks right and is the right length BUT someone put it in upside down SO….who the heck knows. Like I said the old motor is in good condition, has 103 and 103 LBS so it IS GOING TO PUMP WATER.

frankr
                    Participant

Maybe mumbles will make you one if you mortgage the house. Just kidding.

mark weaver
                      Participant

Success this morning. I took it apart AGAIN and the top rubber grommet was pushed up in the tube and blocking the water.
                        That tube WILL NOT go in those sierra rubber grommets. The ears do NOT fit the little holes, the WALL of the grommet is twice as thick as the original also. Once you have the grommet in place the tube will not go in it, you can’t twist it in, tap in in, nothing. I took two grommets out of a parts motor that were still flexible. greased them, turned the tube around as suggested with the slash on the bottom and slid the tube in NO problem…running cool, lots of water out the back. Thank you to everyone that took the time to reply!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.