1962 Elgin run away screaming or scoop it up fast

Home Forum Ask A Member 1962 Elgin run away screaming or scoop it up fast

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• punchbug

Replies: 120
    Topics: 62

Hi I found a 1962 Elgin 7.5 hp that seems complete except for the tiller handle. It is rough and it is stuck. Worth buying for under $40 or should I just run away screaming?

jerry-ahrens

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

Those are very common motors, because Sears would sell you one on ”time payments”. And they were good runners. Sounds like it’s a parts motor now though, so probably isn’t worth much. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder…

mercuryman

Replies: 467
    Topics: 167

If it has a good rewind starter it may be worth it.

auldscott

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 175
    Topics: 42

That’s the lowboy McCulloch, I think, not the West Bend motor. I’d run away unless it was in great cosmetic and mechanical condition. Good runners, if they are running right, but difficult to work on. If it’s the West Bend, it’s not a bad motor, but stuck and incomplete would make me nervous.

Randy in Tampa

Replies: 619
    Topics: 114

run Forrest run 😉

1946zephyr

Replies: 653
    Topics: 12

Yea, I agree on the Low boy McCulloch. Run. Even in good running condition, they’re not worth a whole lot. Offer $20 and part it out. Look for discolored cylinder head. Those have the impeller set up, above the water, like the old green Scotts did too. Impellers are about $75 a pair. Run faster, now. If the lower is good, you may sell it and make a couple bucks for your efforts. The tiller might fetch a few bucks too. Some of those were also sold by Western Auto (Wizard), as well.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

If you do get it and decide to part it out, I have a ’68 Sears McCulloch Lo Profile here which needs a hood.

Attachments:

1946zephyr

Replies: 653
    Topics: 12

Now THAT motor looks reasonably healthy. Cylinder head is a bright white like the rest of the block. Not been overheated.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

A friend on holidays in Arizona found it in a dumpster so he dragged it out and brought it back for me! Whatta guy! It needed a little bit of work but runs great in the drum. I had it running about a month ago but mud wasps or spiders had set up camp inside the fuel line so the powerhead came off to clean everything up. A new diaphragm in the fuel pump has this Ted Williams rocking now!

Attachments:

brian

Replies: 70
    Topics: 9

If you like a challenge, a motor like this can be a good project provided you have a high level of patience. Years ago I worked on three motors that have notorious reputations (Scott Atwater Bailer, Eska, Zephyr). All three eventually ran due in part because I walked away, and eventually returned, when the stress level peaked. Glad I persisted and got them running.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.