Home Forum Ask A Member 1962 Johnson "Electramatic" 40hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    David Bartlett
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I seem to remember previous discussions about these electric shift motors. I have a chance to pick one up with a working lower unit and the controls for very little money. Can a conventional lower be put on if the electric fails?

Also, does the “L” in RK-24 L indicate a long-shaft or just a revision?

Thanks, David

David Bartlett
      Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

No. They are different. They also lack the provision on the side of the motor for the shift mechanism.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

frankr
        Participant

US Member

FYI, the shift switch in the control is getting hard to find and expensive if you do find one. Ditto, the electric cable leading down to the lower unit.

Long shaft would be RKL. Trailing L means a revision if there was one.

David Bartlett
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the information. I am looking for a long shaft Super Quiet 40, and I guess this is a short shaft.

I will keep looking for a regular shift model.

David Bartlett

amuller
            Participant

For what it’s worth, there are two fundamentally different types of OMC electric shiff, and the shift switches have to be wired accordingly, or bad results are likely.

Many advise to avoid electric shift motors. This is probably wise unless you are electro/mechanically inclined.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

David
                The electric shift is worth the risk if all the wiring/controls are included and appear to be OK…This engine has a junction box with a regulator for the generator also, these items must be present…The generator must be operational to keep the battery up so the magnet/hub stays engaged/clamped together. Try to have a look at the gear lube before purchase…If the gear lube seems relatively clean, great….Skip the purchase if water is present.
                Yes, these engines are a little more challenging, and you might have to be patient in order to find a reasonably priced shift switch or other items…But, once completed, you will be rewarded with a very cool engine that shifts like a dream…

David Bartlett
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

David

The electric shift is worth the risk if all the wiring/controls are included and appear to be OK…This engine has a junction box with a regulator for the generator also, these items must be present…The generator must be operational to keep the battery up so the magnet/hub stays engaged/clamped together. Try to have a look at the gear lube before purchase…If the gear lube seems relatively clean, great….Skip the purchase if water is present.

Yes, these engines are a little more challenging, and you might have to be patient in order to find a reasonably priced shift switch or other items…But, once completed, you will be rewarded with a very cool engine that shifts like a dream…

Don,

Thanks for that information. Just to clarify something before I put this one to bed, will the long shaft kit for a regular shift motor work on one of these? I realize the conventional shift motors have a shift rod that won’t be used. The drive shaft is different, but I think that is it.

Thanks, Dave

David Bartlett

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Yes the only difference in the extension kits is the shift rod, and of course the drive shaft length. Comparing apples with apples, that is. The “Super Quiet” models will not interchange with the non-Super Quiet ones. All J/E 40 hp models from the 1960’s are Super Quiet.

David Bartlett
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Frank,

Thank you for the reply.

David Bartlett

Tom
                      Participant

US Member

Is there an extension for the wire harness? or is slack built in at the factory?

T

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.