1963 3 eska skipper timing?

Home Forum Ask A Member 1963 3 eska skipper timing?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• mark weaver

Replies: 74
    Topics: 14

I have a little skipper with a Tecumseh engine on it. The model of the outboard is 1122. The engine tag says 633-26 and below that 4160345. Would anyone out there have a 2 stroke manual that tells the timing dimension of that little motor? Someone said 73 thousands but the high point on the lobe is so wide that at 73 the slots in the stator will not let the points close at that setting.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

I don’t have a manual for your motor but I’m betting the .073″ dimension you were given is for the piston height before top dead centre. Most small engines such as found on lawn mowers and chainsaws set the ignition timing by this method. Obviously, the points will have to be gapped correctly first before measuring the piston height. Points are usually set at .015 – ,020. depending on the make and model of the motor being worked on.

You might want to contact a Tecumseh repair shop as special tools are required for this job. If you have a dial indicator and a degree wheel, you should be able to do it yourself no problem.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.

mark weaver

Mumbles, thanks for the reply. I used the dial indicator on the engine. I set the points at 20 T. first. Then I used the indicator to set the piston at .073 BTDC. Then you are supposed to loosen the two stator bolts and adjust the stator to just where the points open using a continuity meter. I cannot adjust the stator enough to close the point gap. The high point on the cam lobe is not a gradual lift to reach the high point it is just a high BUMP on the cam and it is wide, not allowing the slots in the stator to turn far enough to get off the lobe and let the points close. I am thinking the timing dimension if way more that .073 allowing me to move the crankshaft further. Hope you understand this ramble! I need to know the dimension for sure for this 1963 3 HP. I think it is a V-51 Tecumseh engine. I have SEARCHED everywhere for 2 stroke Tecumseh timing dimensions and can’t find this one.

Mumbles

Model 1122 makes it a ’64-’66 three horse motor. Just have to find some Tecumseh literature now.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.

Mumbles

There’s some info in this PDF which might help. Maybe that .073 should be .173?

Tecumseh-Split-Cases

mark weaver

That’s it! It IS .175 not .073 and that is DEFINITELY my motor and there are all kinds of goodies in there I can use. I can’t thank you enough! You have no idea how long I searched old Tecumseh manuals online trying to find that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.