Home Forum Ask A Member 1963 Evinrude 10 HP running problem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Steve D
    Participant

Someone asked me to look at his motor and help him figure out what’s causing it to act like this ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/55515333@ … res/p3oPwC ) but before I dive in I wanted to get some thoughts from you guys.

All I’ve done so far is check compression which is good at 83/85, and pop the flywheel. It doesn’t "look" bad with Prufex coils and OEM parts. I haven’t actually tested those yet. Armature plate is dry (and so is under the flywheel) so it doesn’t look like there is a bad top seal but there is a fair amount of gas/oiliness on the motor and in the pan and evidence of leaking at the crankcase seams.

He said the carb was recently cleaned but not rebuilt and it still has the cork float. There was a missing screw on the fuel pump and a couple fuel lines were kinda sloppy/loose on the fittings possibly letting air in. That’s pretty much all I know or observed so far.

Attachments:

frankr
      Participant

US Member

One cylinder cutting in and out. Ignition problem.

bob
        Participant

I agree.Cylinder cutting out.Sometimes the coil can be good but the ignition wire connecting to that small pin in the tunnel of the coil is corroded or pin is starting to crack.Same thing with the connection to the pin insert to the spark plugs.

Steve D
          Participant

Ok guys thanks, was kinda leaning that way, just wasn’t sure. Will start checking ignition components.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Might be arcing out of the plug boot and across the plug to ground. Just a guess

Steve D
              Participant

Thanks Frank, for starters I’ll be (checking the coils and condensers), replacing the wires, screwing them in to the coils, make good contact with spring clips and replacing boots if necessary and then see what happens.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, sure sounds like an ignition problem…I’m looking at your second picture but wondering where are the plug wires? That engine looks to be a how hour 10hp for sure. The ignition looks freshly repaired, but that doesn’t mean it is functioning properly. I guess I would put two of those inline neon testers in the plug leads and go for another boat ride after dark.. In the dark, you may be able to see/hear a plug wire arcing also. Hopefully you can pinpoint the problem cylinder to help find the actual problem…Have you tried different plugs, sure don’t want to overlook the simple stuff…
                  It is possible that the engine is dropping a cylinder for reasons other than an ignition problem, but not real likely…

Steve D
                  Participant

Just tucked the plug wires out of the way for the picture. Will definitely be checking all the simple stuff too, thanks.

Attachments:

Steve D
                    Participant

I think we have a winner…

Attachments:

bobw
                      Participant

US Member

Yep, think you found it. Might want to just replace both plug wires and boots while you’re into it.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                        1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.