1963 Evinrude Sportwin Shift Linkage Adjustment

Home Forum Ask A Member 1963 Evinrude Sportwin Shift Linkage Adjustment

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• h20lew

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 51
    Topics: 17

HI All,

Looking for advice on how to properly adjust the shift linkage on a 1963 Evinrude Sportwin. When I go to shift it – it pops out of forward at higher speeds. It’s not a spun prop. Took the lower unit apart and there is what appears to be wear on the clutch dog and forward gear. I’ve attached some photos. I’m not experienced in evaluating these… the clutch dog certainly seems to have rounded edges – the forward gear doesn’t seem to have equal wear to the clutch dog.

Since I plan to use this motor as my main motor on my 14′ Alumacraft, I’ve ordered a new clutch dog and forward gear just to make sure I have good parts to start from… but want to be sure I have it properly adjusted after I do the replacement.

Asking if there are any tips, tricks, suggestions and key things to look for to make sure I have properly adjusted the shifter on this specific motor.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments:

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Yeah, that clutch dog is history and probably best to replace the gear as well.
    You will have to evaluate each and every part in the shift linkage chain to ensure you don’t have a repeat failure. Have a look at the aluminum cradle that ride in the clutch dog to see if it is worn, look for wear or distortion in the shift fork as well. Once the gearcase is reassembled, you will have to check the shift lever and bellcrank to ensure there is no slop there. Oftentimes the brass shift rod connector is misassembled causing shifting problems/damage.
    Once everything is back together, there is a fine adjustment on the shift lever that must be checked to ensure full engagement is being achieved in forward gear.
    Finally, does this engine use remote controls? Or does it look like it has used remote controls in the past? If so, you must ensure the control box and cables are adjusted properly and working freely to avoid repeat failures…

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Lessee, that motor is 55 years old. The parts have a right to be worn out just from normal wear and tear. So do all the other parts mentioned. I suppose a quick test is to grab hold of the bottom end of the upper shift rod and attempt to move it up and down. Any slop needs to be investigated.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

They show a 0329795 shift dog in your outboard . . . 🙂

h20lew

Replies: 51
    Topics: 17

OK – so based on the advice from Fleetwin I’m posting pictures of the shifter cradle and shift lever. The cradle seems to have wear in one of the sockets – I’m pointing to it with the pick. The shifter has wear on one of the tines… I"m totally up for replacing whatever if the advice is these are too worn. I’ve got a new clutch dog and new forward gear in hand. I got a used shift fork on order. Would appreciate advice on the shift cradle.

Also posted a pick of the shift adjustment screws – any advice on what the technique is to properly set these screws is appreciated.

Attachments:

XR55

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 310
    Topics: 30

Hold the upper shift rod through the access hole on the side of the exhaust housing and try to move the shift lever. Any slop needs to be repaired. The bracket on the lever shaft may be loose or worn and can cause the dog to move away from the gear.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Oftentimes the aluminum dog cradle gets worn on either side making it thinner so it can slop around in the clutch dog groove. I would replace the aluminum dog cradle. The steel shift fork is probably OK, but I would look for a used one that is in good shape. These parts usually get worn/damaged when the system is out of adjustment and the clutch dog is jumping.
    The bottom screw on that shift lever simply holds the lever tight to the shaft. The top screw/nut is loosened as a final step when checking for complete dog engagement in forward gear. So, you would first loosen the bottom screw, then loosen and adjust the system using the top screw. Tight the top screw first, then the bottom one.
    But, first look for slop like XR55 says

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.