Home Forum Ask A Member 1963 Fastwin adding sound insulation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    theodore
    Participant

I have some spare shrouds, and was thinking of adding the silver mylar faced marine sound insulation to the inside of the upper shroud, and along the sides and front of the lower shroud. They make the material either 1/2 or 1" thick. I might have to leave it bare along the sides of the recoil housing, maybe 1" by 6" long.

I already have scraps of the 1" material, so there’s really no expense.

Has anyone seen or tried this?

Mumbles
      Participant

Another club member did it last year with good results. Since the other boards are gone, I’ll try and find his email explaining what product he used.

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

I did that with my Souped Up V-4 with the "Fat Fifty" hood and you couldn’t hear it run. It was embarrassing to hit the starter and hear grinding noises because the motor was already running. I used foam neoprene from an old wetsuit. Todays material should be much more effective.

. . . . . 😀

theodore
          Participant

I would think the ’58 Fastwin with the airbox on the carburetor would be quieter than the "63 with the open throat/ no airbox.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Garry,
              My Dad did the same thing with my 1978 85 Evinrude. He was used to his 1962 OMC Dual Deluxe 17 with two 90hp motors. That motor still runs great!

Mumbles
              Participant

I couldn’t find the email with the link but it was similar to this stuff. I know it was adhesive backed on one side and it worked really well for him.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a … nstall.php

benchrascal
                Participant

I looked at a motor this weekend that a fellow had added soundproofing to .It was a pretty small fairly new (4hp 1996) Evinrude and I hesitated to give him an offer on it because why would it run noisy enough to be a problem?The newer fourstrokes are very quiet but with any two stroke I think I want to be aware if it sounds like the pistons are changing places.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.