Home Forum Ask A Member 1963 Sportwin Connecting Rod Orientation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    h20lew
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Another reassembly question on my 10 HP 1963 Evinrude Sportwin.

I’m using a repair manual titled "Old Outboard Motor Service Manual – Volume 1". For this motor, in the manual they say "…straight side of rods should face each other (towards center main bearing)".

OK – that’s fine, but looking at the rods it’s not entirely obvious which side they mean. If you look at it from the narrow side (the first photo), one side of the rod is straight across the face but has a deep notch in the middle. The other side is straight and flat across most of the face – but has ridges where it connects to the crank… so it’s not entirely clear from the simple description in the manual which side they mean.

I’ve posted pictures of one of the rods… should the part number side go towards the main bearing or should the side stamped ‘A’ go towards the main bearing?

Any clarifying advice would be very much appreciated.

Attachments:

frankr
      Participant

look at the rods and crankshaft and it will become obvious which way they go. The rods are offset to clear the counterweights on the crank..

h20lew
        Participant

Duh! Indeed it did become obvious. Thanks.

For anyone looking at this post in the future, looking at my photos, the side with the part number points towards the center main bearing.

Mumbles
          Participant

Here’s a photo showing those riveted on counter weights. OMC must of done them this way so they could machine the rod journals.

Attachments:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.