Home Forum Ask A Member 1966 20HP Johnson

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    aquasonic
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Are the coil shoes flush with the cut out on the mounting boss just under them? A picture would be very helpful.

squierka39
      Participant

When you set the point gap was it way off from before? Using a multimeter and the pointer tool I assume? I have had the same problem in the past, just kept at it till it worked. I’ve never really figured out why it does it though. Just make sure everything you’ve worked on is tight and seated properly. It will be something simple.

Mumbles
        Participant

It sounds as if the black wires coming from the condensers haven’t been folded over and are contacting the flywheel. Can you pull the flywheel and post a photo of the mag plate?

Evinrude 25
          Participant

Hello all,
            I found a problem and temperately fixed it. It turned out the Cam #316583 cracked so it threw the timing off when tightened. So I did a trial and error method to get the right timing when torqued down to 40 ft.lb. I got sparks of both cylinder and got the motor run. The crack where about is shown at the red mark in the picture. Now I am looking to find a replacement cam for it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Mumbles.
            Evinrude 25
            Participant

I could not find 0316583 but there other number 0510168 comes up. Is 0510168 could be used ?

aquasonic
              Participant

I never would have guessed. Never heard of that happening, but good observation on your part. I wonder if something prevented it from seating properly, and it cracked when the flywheel was torqued?

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Evinrude 25
                Participant

Yes, It was cracked when I torqued.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, that would certainly explain this issue! Great job pinning down this mystery…

bobw
                    Participant

I could not find 0316583 but there other number 0510168 comes up. Is 0510168 could be used ?

510168 was the originally specified cam and was commonly used on many OMC motors. It was replaced by the 316583 but I know of no reason why the 510168 wouldn’t work.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                      1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

cajuncook1
                      Participant

Two things that come to mind that could have caused points cam to crack.

– the points cam was not completely seated prior to tightening/torquing the flywheel. The key may be damaged or malaligned preventing the points cam from properly seating and as the flywheel was being tightened it pushed the cam down and cracked it in the process.

– In the past the flywheel may have been over tightened/torqued and slightly mushroomed the flywheel mating surface. This would cause the flywheel to press on the points cam and crack it.

Regardless the issue, please inspect the above possible issues, so the replacement points cam is not cracked as well.

Cheers,
                        Cajun

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 28 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.