Home Forum Ask A Member 1966 3.5hp Viking

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

I was brought in a 1966 34601 model Viking 3.5hp to service.

First time with one of these. He even has his original owners manual, owner ID card, parts catalogue and service guide.

For this style air cooled motor, what do you guys find works best for an oil ratio and oil type? Wondering if it will run hot/sluggish on water cooled oil? Original manual says 1/2 pint per gallon.

Manual also says to never put hypoid gear oil in case. Whats up with that?

Should be fairly easy to get running. Had no spark, but quick points clean fixed that. Soaking carb now. No tillotson parts in my inventory, so just going to make what I need for the carb and we will fire her up.

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I believe that would be the West Bend / Chrysler motor, one of the very few air cooled outboards that I show any appreciation for. I actually think they are pretty good, for what they are. It has the old West Bend powerhead that is related to the old Kart engine, but less power and plain bearings, etc. Back when I was racing karts, those durn West Bend kart engines would smoke me and my souped-up Clinton with dual carburetors.

Anyhoo, I would suggest 16:1 and probably chainsaw oil, because they run hotter than water cooled outboards. I don’t understand why they say not to use hypoid oil, when a Sea King version says to use "Wards Sea King Hypoid Outboard Gear Oil" It has stainless steel shafts, and "real" seals, so should be ok. One thing I like is it uses prop thrust to force water up a ram tube to cool the exhaust housing, unlike Eskas and their chintzy water pump.

Mumbles
        Participant

They probably meant not to use automotive hypoid oil as marine or outboard gear oil is different with less foaming and contains anti corrosion additives.

chris-p
          Participant

Ok thanks Frank. I was thinking they run pretty hot, and to stick with chainsaw type oil. 16:1 it is.

The hypoid comment through me through a loop as well when I first read it. Says to use a Non corrosive leaded outboard gear oil, EP90, such as Texaco Outboard Gear oil-EP 90 or equivalent. Says in bold "DO NOT USE A CORROSIVE HYPOID GEAR OIL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES"

I understand now thanks Jim. Did not see the "corrosive" comment before the hypoid, just scanned through it quick like I normally do and assumed it said all hypoid gear oil!

jerry-ahrens
            Participant

I’ve tried both TCW3 and Stihl oil in my air cooled West Bend. I can tell a difference with the air cooled Stihl oil, the powerhead is quieter and idles better with the Stihl oil. I’m sure any good air cooled 2 cycle oil would be fine.

cajuncook1
              Participant

Chris, Richard’s Viking site has a manual for the Chrysler 3.5hp outboard. You may have it already, but I thought I would post it for you.

http://www.richardlpaquette.ca/Viking%2 … manual.PDF

mini-motors
                Participant

Definitely 16:1. But the correct oil would be an oil with the rating of TC-3. Harder to find then the TCW-3. But the TC-3 is formulated for air cooled engines, while still rated for marine use.

chris-p
                  Participant

Got her done today, and boy is the owner ever happy. That little thing runs fantastic. So quiet, and idles like a little sewing machine.

Cannot remember though how the choke plate snugs up. It just sort of hangs right now, and will kill the motor when it swings closed. I don’t remember there being a spring on it, anyone have one that could look to see what keeps the choke lever in the OFF position.

frankr
                    Participant

10, 11, and 12. Screw, spring and detent

free pic

chris-p
                      Participant

Ah ok understand now thanks!

I took that core plug out when I soaked it. Perhaps the detent and spring are in the bottom of my cleaning tank. Thanks Frank. Hopefully I can find it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.