Home Forum Ask A Member 1966 6 hp 6602 impeller housing gasket

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I have the later plastic impeller housing with the smaller 0763735 impeller. I looked at Marine Engine for the gasket which is 0324901 shown in the parts for a 1979 6 hp that uses the plastic housing. The ’79 parts listing states it takes 2 gaskets, but only shows one between the housing and the impeller plate in the exploded diagram. As i recall when i did a 6 hp with a plastic housing the past,i used 2 gaskets on both sides of the impeller plate.
      The ’66 6602 i’m working on now had just one gasket when i got it,placed between the housing and the plate as it should be.. It had some kind of gasket sealer between the bottom of the plate and the bearing housing.
      I would prefer to use 2 gaskets,especially if the bearing housing is pitted., but thought i would ask for opinions after i saw the discrepancy on the number of gaskets used.
      Thanks.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Hm-m-m-m, good question. True, the parts book says it takes two, but shows only one in the pictorial. However, that in itself is not unusual. Note that it says it takes four screws, but only shows one in the pictorial. That is common practice throughout the whole OMC system.

So, the question becomes how many gaskets does it really take? A photo of the contents of the water pump kit shows only one gasket. So it would seem that is enough. But there really is no reason you can’t add another below the plate if you so desire. Gasket or not, it is important that the plate be sealed to the bearing housing to prevent sucking air.

bobw
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I recently installed this same kit on my 5.5hp. It only comes with the one gasket. The depth of the impeller cup is such that the whole assembly will only go together with the gasket on top of the impeller plate. I used gasket sealer between the bearing housing and the impeller plate and it pumps water fine but you could certainly use a second gasket below the plate.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.