Home Forum Ask A Member 1968 3hp lightwin oil ratio

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dave-bernard
    Participant

US Member

What is the oil ratio for a 1968 and a 1963 3hp lightwin ???

cajuncook1
      Participant

Dave, those motors have been made from 1952 to 1968. 68 is the exception because it does not have a intergal tank and has a hood.

1952 to 1963
        – 16:1 ratio was required.

1964 to 1968
        – 50:1 ratio was suggested.

With that being stated, you will get many opinions.

Between 1952 to 1968 the motor is the same except decals, knobs and addition to add a fuel pump(1964 to 1967).

1952 to 68 motors are not jeweled. They have a friction based system on the con rods going to the pistons wrist pins and the crankshaft.

1964 Presented the TCW oils which was far superior to regular 30wt motor oil, so oil fuel ratio to 50:1.

Alot of the those little motors are found to have low compression from lack of oil.

Some prefer to stick with the original 16:1 ratio.

Alot will use 24:1 ratio

Using a Synthetic blend at 16:1 or 24:1 ratio will have little smoke and excellent lubrication.

Your choice my friend. This my opinion, but does not make me 100% correct.

Cheers Dave and thanks for your help and advice over years for Mercs.

Cajuncook1

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nice catch on the 1968 being the first with no tank. I thought that started with the 4 in 1969. Good thing I didn’t send him a recoil from a 1962 or something. Oops. Having experienced-first hand what happens when you run a plain bearing engine on 50:1, even good oil, (Ka-BAM) I would opt for 16:1. It would probably be okay on 24:1 but why risk it?

Long live American manufacturing!

Mumbles
          Participant

16:1. Oil is cheap and blown powerheads aren’t. Todays TCW III oil mixed at the correct ratio is the best insurance you can get for reliability and longevity out of your motor.

lindy46
            Participant

US Member

16:1. Oil is cheap and blown powerheads aren’t. Todays TCW III oil mixed at the correct ratio is the best insurance you can get for reliability and longevity out of your motor.

Agree

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member

Thanks . got the recoil.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so you got a recoil?? I have been bookmarking bits and pieces on ebay for you… Factory recommend 50:1, I would stick with 24:1…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.