Home Forum Ask A Member 1969 Merc model 40 Water Pump Housing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    archangel
    Participant

I’m hoping someone has some ideas for me. I am doing a basic service on a ’69 Mercury Model 40, 4 hp and I am changing a number of deteriorated looking seals. The water pump cover oil seal around the drive shaft is deteriorated and the rubber has separated from the metal cup of the seal itself. My problem is that I am unable to remove the metal portion of the seal from the plastic water pump housing. I have tried prying it with dental tools and small slotted screwdrivers, but I can’t budge it. I am concerned about gouging the plastic plastic seat in the water pump housing so I haven’t been overly aggressive in my attempts to pry it out.

Does anyone have any pointers that may help me remove this metal cup portion of the oil seal? I have included photos of the water pump cover with the old damaged cup still in place and also a couple of shots of the new seal next to the water pump cover to help you all visualise the two parts and their relationship. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

seal is basicly not needed. just put the slinger on the DS

archangel
        Participant

Okay. Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the advice.

dave-bernard
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

anytime. check to see if the pump was overheated. they will warp is overheated. melted plastic will be seen in the impeller area cup and top ss cover.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.