Home Forum Ask A Member 1970 merc 500 shift cable mount

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

Hi Guys,
      1970 Merc 500. Does anyone have a diagram of how the shift cable and barrel swivel attach to the motor? The brass barrel on mine is not attached, and i’m not sure if something is missing or broken at the attachment point. A diagram would help.

Thank you,
      Wannabe

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I haven’t got my model year/serial book handy…(you guys really gotta get used to posting serial numbers for Mercs, please) but this should be it, more or less.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercu … ft-linkage

Now, do you mean the brass barrel is not attached to the motor or it is not even on the cable end? If not on the cable end, you may have a 33C type cable that is missing a part. This would be Morse or Teleflex, not Mercury. Mercury’s barrels don’t come off the cable without being cut off.

If not attached at the motor, way down in the lower cowl, port side, there should be two cross mounted sliding levers, number 35 in the picture. They slide through the cable barrels then turn 90 degrees to lock in place with spring tension.

Long live American manufacturing!

wiscoboater
        Participant

Thank you Bill!!
          Serial# 2739254 I’ll have to look closer in there. The brass barrel is intact on the cable. I will have to look for parts 35-40. It’s still in the back of my truck. I’m waiting for my Son to come over and help me get it on a stand. I blew my back out getting it on the truck yesterday. I only got a brief look at it.

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Although the picture reference number is different for that serial range, the part number and general idea are the same. Yours should be that way. They are a little tricky to hook up but you’ll get the idea when you see it.

My back hurts just thinking about putting a 500 in a truck, these days.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.