Home Forum Ask A Member 1971 Mercury 135 hp – things to watch out for?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    auldscott
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

For the Mercury guys,

A good friend is seriously considering buying a boat with a 1971 Mercury 135 tower. He says it looks great but he has not heard it run.

Was this a good year for the Merc 135s? Any strange quirks with the ignition system, fuel system? Would you buy one?

Many thanks!

auldscott

chinewalker
      Participant

US Member

The distributor cap on mine was very brittle, likely original. New ones are available, but pricey. That’s the only issue mine had since I’ve owned it.
        It also appears mine has had the wiring harness replaced at some point, too. My experience with other Mercs of that era is the wiring is in generally bad shape with the covering flaking off and the wire corroding.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2_NAIXpT0E

A Hoskins
        Participant

US Member

Great motor in my opinion. The lower unit gear ratio is unique to that motor compared to other 6’s. I had one on a light weight 16′ Scatcraft for about 10 years. The boat flew and never let me down. Should have never sold it.

"Fox News" isn't.

phil-b
          Participant

Video description reads:

quote :

My 1971 Merc 1350 135hp getting dried out following a dunking. The boat it was on came unglued at about 60mph and sank like a stone.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.