Home Forum Ask A Member 1972 85 hp V4 charging system….?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

Monitoring the system voltage, it readily goes above 16 even though the alternator output is only rated at 9 amp. This is no real surprise as the system is unregulated and there are warnings against using “maintenance free” batteries (but these are now the norm.) Voltage can be controlled by turning loads on and off, but this requires more attention than may be realistic, and over 16 volts isn’t going to do electronics any good.

I see that combination rectifier/regulators are available, as are separate regulators such as http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0580913. I don’t have any schematics for this but would guess a common sort of shunt regulator that dumps output above 14 v or so.

Any suggestions on this? My electrical loads will be limited to lights, depth sounder, GPS, VHF( radio seldom used).

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I had the same problem on my 125, a long, long time ago. I had power tilt, so I would just hit that switch once in awhile, to drop the voltage. I never knew that a 15 amp charging kit was available, which came with that regulator you show. (See link below.) I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for you. Their strategy was always to dump one leg to ground when the voltage got too high, even on engines that came standard with regulators.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-accessories/index.php?year=1972&model=Electrical+1972&section=15+Amp+Conversion+Kit+85%2C+100+And+125+Hp&yid=34239&mid=34240&sid=35526

Long live American manufacturing!

amuller
        Participant

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I also have power tilt, but that’s only an occasional load. I guess a manual ground of one stator leg would be easy enough to set up. Think I will order the regulator and the 15 amp stator; they aren’t expensive. The kit comes with an ammeter and wiring for it, but I don’t feel the need of that.

Alan

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There is a much simpler regulator set up available…I don’t know if those water cooled regulator rectifiers will fit into the older V4s top water cavity anyway…
            This simple regulator simply cuts out half the output of the alternator and is easy to install most anywhere on the engine….
            See #55:
            http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1980&hp=235&model=E235TRLCSM&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Ignition+System

amuller
            Participant

The regulator item #55 doesn’t seem to be available from marineengine but does appear elsewhere. But it’s expensive.

This one is available from marine engine for about $31: http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0580913. I don’t think it’s water cooled as the kit includes a flat mounting plate which may or may not be needed as a heat sink but can probably be easily ginned up. If the regulator simply shunts one stator lead to ground there is probably no substantial heat to be disposed of.

Maybe I’m confused; happens a lot….

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The trouble with it is that the picture shows neither wires or a terminal strip. Maybe it’s just a bad picture but there has got to be some way to CONNECT it!

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

here is one on ebay:
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHNSON-EVINRUDE-OMC-173640-VOLTAGE-REGULADOR-ASSEMBLY/373187031501?hash=item56e3ae31cd:g:bFoAAOSw2dFfURVQ

Not sure just what the one on marinengine is, maybe you can call them… Just make sure it is returnable if you buy it…

amuller
                  Participant

Am looking at the Shindengen SH775 regulator/rectifier. These are a MOSFET series regulator item used on quite a few motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s your outboard….

amuller
                      Participant

The SH775 rectifier/regulator looks like a good bet to me. General impression is that OMC in those years was stronger on the mechanical side than the electrical/electronic side. And lots of progress has been made in semiconductors. But my source wants $115 for the item and another $20 for the connectors. Lots of clone stuff available for a fraction of that but much of it may be crap.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.