Home Forum Ask A Member 1973 Chrysler 55 hp lower unit

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hugh
    Participant

Well after 5 years of up and down #@&% electrical problems 🙁 , I pulled the 1970 60 hp Evinrude 3 cylinder off my wife’s boat. Put it and one just like it (spare) on a pallet and put them on craigslist CHEAP! Done. I know they are good engines, good power, good on fuel, but I have spent more time working on it and having problems at the lake than all my others together.
      I had 2 great running 55 hp Chryslers. Magneto ignition, simple, like me 😆 . Tuned one up and am installing it on the boat. I ordered a lower unit seal kit and would like to redo my spare one, then install it. I know these are difficult so any help, photos, warnings, would be appreciated.

Mumbles
      Participant

Hey Hugh, I had a Chrysler 55 on a 14′ runabout years ago and it was fast. It was a straight magneto with no charging system so I had to charge the battery occasionally. I did tear it all down once out of curiosity but can’t remember anything being difficult.

That motor took me across the straight one day to Pt. Angeles WA and all thru the Gulf Islands one summer. Had lots of fun with it going to Roche Harbour and Friday Harbour on San Juan Island WA!

hugh
        Participant

I’m just going to start taking it apart and see how it goes mumbles. When it comes to reliable and simple, I do like the Chryslers. The same reason I like the 50’s omc’s. 😛 Serviced and tuned and they run great, as a couple of my friends have found out the last few years. My wife is the fisher person in the family and her boat is considered the work boat and that’s what I want it to do, WORK! Not work ON it. Just need to come up with controls and it will be good to go.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.