Home Forum Ask A Member 1973 Johnson Green Paint Code

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JZago
    Participant

I am replacing a shifter handle on a green ’73 Johnson 6 horse.   My paint supplier is unable to match the color.   The reason being is that I do not have an un-faded part for which their camera will make adequate contact with.  I could certainly use any exterior portion of the motor to get a match.  However, I do not want to match a faded color.  I also contacted my local outboard repair shop and they were unable to find the paint code for me.  I do have two work-arounds for matching the paint.  But they are both rather expensive.  Does anyone have the paint code for the original paint?  Again, the color is the green they used in ’73.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  (I am also posting this in “Active Member Forum”.)

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by JZago.
      billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You’re going to have to remove the power head to replace the shift handle anyway, so isn’t there enough un-faded paint INSIDE the lower cover, to get a camera shot?

Long live American manufacturing!

bob-d
        Participant

US Member

Why not just buy the correct color from NY Marine?

JZago
          Participant

Thank you billw and bob-d.

The powerhead is already removed and the lower cowling has been cleaned and buffed revealing nice areas of un-faded paint.  However, my paint supplier is unable to fit his camera on any portion inside the lower cowling.

As I mentioned, I do have work-arounds.  I could match get a great match using the paint chips for the two-stage paints they have.  However, once I open the catalyst in the two-stage paint, I only have so long to use the paint. It’s a lot of money for just the shift handle.  A single-stage acrylic enamel can be used over and over as long as I clear the port and keep it indoors.  My supplier does not have a great selection of acrylic enamel sample chips.  I could always use the 2-stage chip to match the color and then have my supplier place his camera on that.  However, the probability for variance increases quite a bit in doing so.

I do have a quote from Peter McDowell from NY Marine.  However, because of shipping, his price is double that of my local paint shop.

I felt it was prudent to at least ask the members of AOMCI.  As a purest, I try to keep my motors as original as possible.  With that in mine, it would be nice to have the original code.

In the end, I will most likely be placing an order with Peter McDowell.  I need a couple 50’s era cowling bumpers anyway.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by JZago.
            Mumbles
            Participant

Original OMC paint codes are non existent as far as I know but I can post OMC part numbers and one manufacturers code numbers if my File Explorer quits acting up! This might take a while so bear with me.

Mumbles
              Participant

Think I got it working. Yeehaw!

OMC-Paint-Codes-001-1
                OMC-Paint-Codes-002
                OMC-Paint-Codes-003

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wow, that is a spectacular piece of information. Thanks, Mumbles!

Long live American manufacturing!

JZago
                  Participant

Mumbles,

That is some great information.  However, there is still nothing specified for green in 1973.  I just ended up placing my order with Peter McDowell.

Thank you everyone for your contribution!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.