Home Forum Ask A Member 1973 Mercury 110

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    trey
    Participant

Hi everyone. First time post to new forum. I’m a member of AOMCI, but I don’t think it is displaying me as one.
      Anyway, having some trouble with my Merc. It is either a ’72 or ’73, I can’t quite remember. The problem is that the upper oil plug on the lower unit is stripped out. I got the plug out, but the threads have been stripped. I stripped it out myself a little while back. I’ve about decided the best thing to do is just find another lower unit. I may could have it welded up, drilled and tapped, but I think it may be cheaper just to get another lower unit. Which brings me to my question. Does anyone know what year models around this span have interchangeable lower units? Do any of them interchange, or am I stuck to just that one year? This Merc has given me fits, and I’m almost ready to use it as an anchor. Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Trey

phil-b
      Participant
        quote Trey:

Hi everyone. First time post to new forum. I’m a member of AOMCI, but I don’t think it is displaying me as one.

I don’t think the new forum knows whether or not we’re members…. yet.

jasonh
        Participant

Why not just helicoil it?

trey
          Participant

Well, the threads are completely stripped out – actually they’ve been drilled out. I had to drill out the plug screw itself. It was hastily done. I tried putting some JB Weld on it, and then drilling and tapping that. It held up for a little while, but I think the oil is softening up the JB Weld. I might could get a heli-coil to bite into the aluminum. Worth a shot I guess.

dave-bernard
            Participant

US Member

Try tapping out to the next size and use a larger screw. even if you need to grind the head down.

mr-asa
              Participant

I’ve got a couple mercs of that vintage, and I was wandering through the internet trying to find interchange info and couldn’t. I got given a frozen 7.5HP from the 80s or so, I pulled it apart and checked everything I could on the lower unit, and other than the splines on the prop hub being different, and there not being an indent for an o-ring on the top of the driveshaft I couldn’t find any differences. I slid it home and screwed in one of the two retaining bolts, then turned it over by hand and it spun.

Based on that, I’d guess that there is a very wide range of interchangeable lower units for those, but I never found anything concrete, and you might find different results based on your experiments.

dave-bernard
                Participant

US Member

does it shift OK ?

mr-asa
                  Participant

I can’t remember if I tested that. I think I did, and I think it did shift. I know that the shift rods between the two are indistinguishable on the exterior.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.