Home Forum Ask A Member 1974 15hp Johnson, convert to 20" possible?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    20mercman
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have a really nice running 15hp Johnson that we picked up last fall and did some work on. This is a very nice running motor, however I don’t need another one, and I have a fellow that is asking me for a motor for sale. I really want to send this Johnson down the road to a good home as it is a great fishing motor. The problem is that it is a 15" transom motor. Can these be converted to long shaft, and if so, any ideas of where I would be able to find a kit for one?

Thanks!

Steve

frankr
      Participant

Long shaft kit was part # 386710, replaced by 392002, listed as NLA

outbdnut2
        Participant

Maybe you can find a dead donor motor cheap. The 9.9s and 15s of that era should give you the short driveshaft and shiftrod you need. Also the water tube, but you can easily shorten that if necessary.
          Dave

dougs-outboards
          Participant

Dave I think it’s already a short shaft, he’s wanting it to be a long shaft, so needs long shaft parts… sadly I have none to offer.

Yes a dead donor motor would be the ticket. Don’t pay over $50 for it tho.

outbdnut2
            Participant

quote Dougs Outboards:

Dave I think it’s already a short shaft, he’s wanting it to be a long shaft, so needs long shaft parts… sadly I have none to offer.

Yes a dead donor motor would be the ticket. Don’t pay over $50 for it tho.

Opps – must have had a senior moment – anyway a donor 9.9 or 15 would still work.
              Dave

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

This is not a tough swap to make at all…
                The good news is that the driveshaft pulls right up and out of the gearcase, so it swaps easily. Be sure to get a driveshaft with an oring groove on the upper splines, don’t use the non-oring driveshafts. I think there was some sort of change to the lower splines on the early engines, so be sure those match completely as well.
                Used gearcase extensions are plentiful and affordable. Be sure to get the white plastic tube/extension seal as well. These are usually just found stuck into the used extensions…
                The shift rod simply unthreads up and out and can be swapped easily as well. Be sure to thread the longer shift rod all the way down/bottomed out, then back it off just slightly so the bend is facing forward for proper adjustment. The shift rod cavity tends to get plugged with dirt/sludge, there is a drain hole down there but it is usually plugged. You will want to clean this area well prior to removing the original shift rod to ensure none of the sludge goes down inside the gearcase when the original shift rod is removed. Coat the lower portion of the longer shift rod generously with grease prior to threading it in to help lubricate the shift rod oring for good sealing.
                The powerhead would have to be pulled in order to change the water tube, but I’m pretty sure the make a 5" extension for the short water tube that seals with an oring that can be added to the original short water tube. This way, the powerhead does not need to be removed…
                Here is the part number for the extension:
                http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/pa … OMC0320025
                Not cheap, but definitely worth its price to avoid pulling the powerhead…
                Don

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant

The 5" longer water tube as Fleetwin mentioned is the way to go. Be sure it has the o ring PN #020893 that fits in the notch in the tube where it fits over your existing water tube for a good seal. I can’t remember if it came with the water tube extension 320025 when i bought it.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

joellerich
                  Participant

I have a complete kit to convert a short shaft engine to long shaft. The parts came from a 9.9hp Johnson MQ series. If interested let me know. I can send pictures. I think it would fit your engine, but am not certain. You may have to post the question to some of the experts. I will be at Tomahawk August 3 and 4

John john.oellerich@q.com.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.