Home Forum Ask A Member 1974 Evinrude 9.9 fuel pump

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rjoynt
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Gotta love these ‘new’ motors. All plastic and no room to work!

I am replacing the fuel pump. I have looked everywhere for specific directions and can find none.

It is the square pump. One corner has the arrow for I am assuming has to be mounted facing up. I see where the inlet nozzle can be changed. No problem. But how do you change the direction of the outlet nozzle? The one taken out has the outlet in the 9 o’clock position and the in inlet nozzle on the top pointing to the left. The new pump has the inlet on the bottom pointing left.

Does it matter where the arrow point? Does it have to be reassembled the way it came off? I would hate to take it apart and scrap a new pump.\\

Thanks in advance.

Bob

phil-b
      Participant

Here are some great tips for dealing with the square fuel pumps:

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Rebuilding_fuelpump.htm

I had one that had been incorrectly reassembled by a PO, I was VERY glad when it only took me two tries to get it right!

I tip I used was using cyanoacrylate (super glue) to attach the springs and the fiddly bits so they didn’t go shooting about….

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The replacement fuel pumps for these engines has the outlet pointing down and slightly to the left, this is normal. The big loop of fuel line that was present with the original pump can be cut back so it connects at the bottom of the pump without the loop.
          I’m not sure I completely understand what you are describing, needless to say the "inlet" cover can be installed any one of four ways without affecting anything. It is the little "outlet" nipple you are concerned with, like I say the newer OMC pumps for these engines have outlet nipples that face down/slightly to the left. The raised arrow (or "up" designation) should be pointing upwards toward the flywheel if you have the right pump. Please don’t tear this pump apart if it is the wrong one, simply return it and get the right one.
          Post pictures if this will help clarify this confusing issue.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.