Home Forum Ask A Member 1974 Evinrude Mate 2.0HP won't idle.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I picked up 3 of these Evinrude Mates 2HP motors last week. I got one running nicely but the other 2 won’t get near an idle. They start right up on high speed but as you move the throttle toward idle it just seems to shut off like you pressed the kill button. Except there is no kill button!

I have taken apart the carb and cleaned it. I checked to make sure there was nothing grounding out (that I could see)on the points etc. I put my spark checker on and pulled the rope with the throttle control near idle and I get a good spark. I added packing to the needle adjustment on the carb but it had no effect.

Attached is a video of one of the motors that does this.
      What do you think?

https://youtu.be/DsDBWsyNccE

bayham3261
      Participant

To me it seems it seams like a clogged low speed jet. I’ve run into this type of situation before. I bought a hypersonic cleaner on ebay and they are amazing at cleaning jets. They clean passageways that are often to tight or too clogged to clean any other way. Professionals have these and you could have someone do this for you.

I’d also check other carb issues…
        -upside down float (it happens to the best of us!)
        -carb float height
        -enough packing on the needles.
        -correct jets install (on some models highs and lows can get mixed up)
        -timing/throttle linkage connection

Other things to check…
        -points timing (best to do with a multi-meter vs measured gap)
        -compression needs to be good. a 70-80psi is generally needed. if low could be a stuck ring or badly damaged bore.
        -magneto plate needs to be firm with no side to side play.
        – make sure your timing cam is correctly installed.
        -there is an outside chance that an exhaust or head gasket has dried out and is leaking water in the cylinder.

good luck!

A little information is a dangerous thing!

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Bayham, I cleaned the carb in a sonic cleaner. I have done most of the things you suggested but will also look at your other suggestions.

bayham3261
          Participant

how about swapping the carb with the working one? Would be an interesting experiment to see what happens.

A little information is a dangerous thing!

frankr
            Participant

US Member

I notice you are running without a prop. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it or not. But it sounds to me like it is in runaway mode similar to what big motors do if you rev them up in neutral..

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sounds like ign problems to me. Did you check your Caps (condensers), Never could figure out what they condense?? & I agree on checking compression, more critical with small bore mtrs.

wedgie
                Participant

Low crankcase compression ?

Ken Smith
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

It might be a bad crank seal? I recall reading about this somewhere.

www.kenadianoutboards.com

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m with Frank on this one, as usual…. There is no load on that engine, and the flywheel might not have enough weight to keep it turning at low speeds…I would start by putting a prop on it….
                      OK, listened to it again….The fuel line seems to go downwards, how are you supplying fuel pressure to the carb? Pumping the primer bulb?
                      It does kind of sound like it is running out of spark, almost like someone is hitting the “kill switch” that it doesn’t have….I would certainly put an inline neon tester on it to see if it is indeed running out of spark…I’m assuming you have tried a different plug…
                      The good news here is that you have a good running “donor engine”. So, if you question the carb, simply use the one from the good running engine, same with the mag plate. This is a simple way to isolate problem systems without going crazy rebuilding/cleaning stuff that may not be broke….

The Boat House
                      Participant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.