1974 Sears 7hp fuel problems

Home Forum Ask A Member 1974 Sears 7hp fuel problems

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

• john8504

Replies: 169
    Topics: 31

I have a 1974 Sears 7 hp that I’m having fuel delivery issues that I’m baffled by. I have taken carb completely apart and every passage is clear. I Cleaned it with carb cleaner and blown out with air compressor. It has the option for a remote tank but I disabled that by taking out the shut off for the onboard tank. It will get gas to the carb but the bowl might have a drop or two of fuel and nothing more. I can press the release on the remote tank connector and fuel will come out of there since the two fuel connections on the carb are linked. I’m rather baffled on why the bowl will not fill up with fuel. I have a second engine with same carb and it has the same problems. Anyone seen this before?

Attachments:

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 7493
    Topics: 1072

Sounds like the carb bowl is not venting. Gas can’t get in if air can’t get out.

Prepare to be boarded!

john8504

I can spray gas into mouth of carb and it will run. It has good spark and 92 compression.

retiredoz

Replies: 565
    Topics: 27

Somewhere in the recesses of my memory chaos is a mention that when you reassemble that carb, make sure the ‘flat’ part of the bowl is directly under the inlet. I can’t tell by looking at your pics…

john8504

So turn the bowl around to where the "shelf" is under the reeds?

Buccaneer

Replies: 7493
    Topics: 1072

Retiredoz, now that you mention it, I remember doing as you suggest,
    so the float has room to "drop" and let fuel into the bowl.

quote retiredoz:

Somewhere in the recesses of my memory chaos is a mention that when you reassemble that carb, make sure the ‘flat’ part of the bowl is directly under the inlet. I can’t tell by looking at your pics…

Prepare to be boarded!

john8504

Makes sense. The simplest solutions are sometimes the hardest to see.

john8504

Yup that was it. Rotated the bowl and now I have plenty of fuel and it came to life for the first time in many years. Free motor and no money spent on it so far!! Can’t beat that!

retiredoz

Replies: 565
    Topics: 27

I have a really hard time figuring why that bowl is configured like that in the first place. You can add my name to people that tripped over it.

john8504

I have no idea. I’m sure the best mechanics have all done the same.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.