1974 ted Williams 15hp problems. Help.

Home Forum Ask A Member 1974 ted Williams 15hp problems. Help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• john8504

Replies: 169
    Topics: 31

I have a ted Williams with forward and reverse gears. I just picked it up and it was very clean inside. I cleaned the carb and had it running off of choke really well. I bought it and now it’s impossible to get it to run in gear. As soon as I put it into gear, it does and I have a hard time starting it again. I’ve pulled carb apart and it had a green film all over everything so I cleaned it again. Still hard to start. Anyone have any ideas?

amuller

Replies: 1055
    Topics: 163

The ignition is often problematic on these. You might want to carefully try a spark tester and see if you have a decent spark on both cylinders.

With the carb crapped up internally, you might suspect deposits in the jets and passages that could be restricting fuel flow.

john8504

Jets in the carb? Nothing with the block itself?

amuller

Not sure what you mean by "block." Yes, I would check all the jets, drillings, etc, in the carbs. It only takes a few thousands inch of deposits to influence the mixture. These carbs resemble Tecumseh lawnmower carbs, but I pretty much forget the details of how they are set up on these motors.

Have you checked the compression?

john8504

Compression is 91. It runs and idles, although sometimes it takes a bit to get er’ purring. When I put it in gear it bogs down and dies. I guess illl go through the carb again and check the reeds too.

john8504

I cleaned carb again and found deposits almost like sand. Afterwards it ran great until I throttle it. Started looking around and I realized I didn’t have hardly any gas left in the bowl. My primer bulb was sucking in air because it wasn’t sealed properly on the engine side.

amuller

In a big twin from the early sixties I found a load of sand-like material in the carb. It wasn’t soluble in anything I tried. Still don’t know what it was.

john8504

I’m with you on that. The tank was perfectly clean and I’m not sure what it was. I even brake cleaned it and it didn’t break down. Although, after it was cleaned out, it ran well for what it was.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.