Home Forum Ask A Member 1975 Mercury 200 Gearcase Removal

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

I am servicing a 1975 Mercury 200 (20hp)

To drop the gearcase, I have removed the 13mm nut from under the cavitation plate, loosened the 15mm nut from the leading edge of the gearcase, but believe there is an allen bolt to remove which holds the anode on, then I believe there is another nut under that anode? Correct?

Issue is, the area under the grommet where the allen nut is (grommet was missing) is corroded, and I can hardly see the bolt. What size is it? It is an allen key you need to remove the anode isn’t it? I have stuck various size allen keys down there, but cannot seem to get any to grab.

I fear Ill be cutting the anode apart to get to the nut under it.

20mercman
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yes there is an allen nut that holds the anode on that is accessed through the hole in the top of the rear of the mid-section. I think that it is 5/16", but can’t remember for sure. You can shine a small light down the hole to get a look at it. The anode must be removed to gain access to the other attaching bolt. You may need to use a sharp probe and compressed air to clean out the recess in the allen bolt if the area has that much corrosion the opening of the bolt may be filled with debris.

Steve

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.