Home Forum Ask A Member 1975 mercury 650 reverse lock issue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    shoestringmariner
    Participant

Hey guys, I just removed and reinstalled by 1975 650 mercury. I redid the transom and added a CMC power tilt and trim. When I reinstalled the engine, I lost reverse lock somehow.

I’ve disconnected the cables and manually changed the gears and reverse lock does not work. Nothing in forward reverse or neutral. ( I know it’s not supposed to work in forward. ( not sure about neutral )
      I’ve dropped the bottom and then everything appears normal. It worked perfectly fine when I used it last year .

Only thing I can think of that may have caused a problem is I tested forward and reverse gear without the engine running or rotating when I reinstall the cables to the motor linkages. I read somewhere AFTER that this was a no-no. Could I have damaged something in the bottom end?

Thanks in advance.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

lift it up put it in forward. lower it down the reverse locks will go over the tilt pin. then put it in neutral should work then . try to lift it.. did you have the lower down to change the water pump?

shoestringmariner
        Participant

lift it up put it in forward. lower it down the reverse locks will go over the tilt pin. then put it in neutral should work then . try to lift it.. did you have the lower down to change the water pump?

Yes I tried that. Does not work. I drop the bottom and today to find out what’s going on. Doesn’t look out of place. I am totally miffed

shoestringmariner
          Participant

I’ve tried disconnecting the controls and doing the shifting manually. Including shifting into reverse while spinning the prop. To no avail

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.