Home Forum Ask A Member 1976 E/rude 70HP

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mogems-yahoo-com
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I bought a 1976 #70673 E/rude 70HP 3 cyl. attached to a boat last June. It was going cheap @ auction so I had to have it. The boat sat in a yard uncovered for about 5 yrs. Motor spins w/compression, helm is stripped, strg. cable frozen. It has a manual tilt w/2 shock pistons. It is frozen in one position. I used heat & penetrant with gentle tapping on the hinge area (NOT THE PISTONS). I was told these pistons are unavailable. Am I correct to assume the pistons may be frozen? Who has dealt with this before? If someone out there has a pair of cheap pistons, I will cut the stems if nec. Can the pistons be unbolted without drastic disassembly? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, George 856-447-3641

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I won’t go so far as to say it can’t be the pistons (correctly called shock absorbers), but I’ve never seen any frozen. And this is a salt water area here. I would rather suspect the tilt tube (the tube that the steering cables goes through). I guess I don’t need to suggest the lock/release lever is not in the locked-down position, right?

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Is the engine stuck in the down position or the up position? In either event, perhaps it is something as simple as the reverse or tilt lock keeping the engine locked in whatever position it is locked into, perhaps the linkage is busted/messed up. Can the engine be moved at all, even the slightest little bit? If so, chances are good that the linkage is your problem.
          In any event, I sure would NOT cut those shocks off unless you are positive one or both is frozen. And, like Frank says, the shocks wouldn’t be my first guess.
          You are in for a big job if the problem is not linkage related. Try loosening the big tilt tube nut, perhaps that might help. You mention the steering cable is frozen into the tilt tube, that in itself would not keep the motor from tilting up and down though. Is the steering cable cut off? If not, there is a chance that the cable is good, just stuck into the tilt tube. Loosen/removed the steering cable locknut and see if the cable can be moved with the helm now.
          If the shock(s) are indeed frozen/locked up, you will need to remove the motor from the boat to get at the pins and shaft holding them in. Sometimes beating on these pins/shafts with an air hammer helps free them up for removal.
          Feel free to post pictures if that will help.
          PS- Before you get tooooo deep into this labor intensive project, you might want to do a compression test and drain the gear lube to make sure the rest of the engine warrants working on the tilting mechanism.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.