Home Forum Ask A Member 1976 Evinrude 15 hp 15604A Fuel pump?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    20mercman
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

My son is working on a 76 Evinrude 15hp model number 15604A that he was intending to rebuild the fuel pump. When we looked up the parts, it seems that only gaskets are available, not a diaphragm. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do these diaphragms go bad? A new kit seems to include a complete replacement pump, and they are not cheap. Thanks for any input!

Steve

pappy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well…..a fuel pump every 40 years seems to be money well spent but that’s just me.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I would NOT mess with the fuel pump unless you have confirmed it is bad. Granted, I am a klutz, but those little fuel pumps are real tough to reassemble properly. I’m pretty sure the OEM part number for a fuel pump repair kit is: 393088, and it should include a diaphragm.
          Again, I wouldn’t mess with that pump unless you have confirmed it is NFG. If the pump is actually bad, you can try the kit, but will probably end up shelling out the big bucks for a new pump.

theodore
          Participant

I’ve often wondered what kind of person or machine builds those pumps at the factory. Trying to visualize-

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Rebuilding_fuelpump.htm

I have done it … with my fat fingers .. you can do it to ….. but READ this link 3 times and understand it before you proceed !!!!

glue the little springs on their respective plastic nipple base and then glue the little mushrooms pads onto their springs with just a small dab of Krazy glue ( minimum) on the springs and pads . Let the glue set

the glue holds the parts in place while you mount the diaphragms over them and layer up the pump. layer up the pump by using the 2 mounting bolts . Make sure the pump orients properly like the original layout on your engine

when done check by blowing air fuel inlet to fuel outlet NO AIR should pass if you blow in the reverse direction !!!

Voila.. your done ! 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

david-bartlett
              Participant
                quote crosbyman:

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Rebuilding_fuelpump.htm

I have done it … with my fat fingers .. you can do it to ….. but READ this link 3 times and understand it before you proceed !!!!

glue the little springs on their respective plastic nipple base and then glue the little mushrooms pads onto their springs with just a small dab of Krazy glue ( minimum) on the springs and pads . Let the glue set

the glue holds the parts in place while you mount the diaphragms over them and layer up the pump. layer up the pump by using the 2 mounting bolts . Make sure the pump orients properly like the original layout on your engine

when done check by blowing air fuel inlet to fuel outlet NO AIR should pass if you blow in the reverse direction !!!

Voila.. your done ! 🙂

Crosbyman,

I too have had success with this, but like you said, read and understand it all as much as possible before you start. The first one I tried took more than one go at it before I got it right.

It can be done.

20mercman
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I just remembered, I may have to buy a new pump kit anyways, because the owner claimed he took it to a repair shop of some sort, and they lost a spring or something out of the kit. oh well, thanks for the input guys. I just hope the owner is willing to spend that much for a new pump.

beerman57
                  Participant

I would go for the kit, as long as it included a diaphragm. Last time I did one it was pretty easy going with the instructions. I believe it even included a hint, to use a feeler gauge to hold a spring down while everything is stacked up, then you can just slide the feeler gauge out and finish tightening the bolts.

cajuncook1
                    Participant

20mercman, I have a digital serviceman manual for your son if you want. PM me with email if you want it.

Cajun

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                        quote 20mercman:

I just remembered, I may have to buy a new pump kit anyways, because the owner claimed he took it to a repair shop of some sort, and they lost a spring or something out of the kit. oh well, thanks for the input guys. I just hope the owner is willing to spend that much for a new pump.

When you say "kit", I am assuming you mean a new fuel pump. I don’t know if the repair kit 393088 will include the missing pieces from the last repair attempt.
                        Perhaps you can find a used pump that will work. The 1976 15hp was not one of OMC’s best offerings, you don’t want to "get in too deep" with this customer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.