1976 Evinrude manual starter question

Home Forum Ask A Member 1976 Evinrude manual starter question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

• cajuncook1

Replies: 842
    Topics: 72

I removed the manual starter, so I could service the carburetor. When I removed the starter, I wrap it tight with electrical tape to keep it together and prevent unwinding.

After I completed the carburetor servicing, I return the starter back into position with guard in its hole and the anchor bolt in its hole. Tightened it down, now it recoils but 3 or 4 inches remains hanging out. Before starter removal it recoiled all the way. I did not change the rope because it looks to be in good condition. If I loosen the anchor bolt some it fully recoils, but I don’t want to leave the anchor bolt little loose.

What did I do wrong?

beerman57

Replies: 596
    Topics: 126

Look around for a bushing / grommet that didn’t get put back on installation.

cajuncook1

I went back and checked Beerman, its all there. I appreciate the suggestion.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

I know whats happened Cajun. Inside the housing, below the spring is a flat washer which has probably fallen out of alignment. If you remove the starter and remove the centre bolt while holding it together with your other hand, give it a shake and look down the hole at the same time to see if the washer is flopping around in there. It’s easy for it to be misaligned if the centre bolt has been removed. When removing these starters, thread a 3/8 coarse nut up the bottom of the bolt to keep everything together until you are ready to reinstall it. It will save lots of grief later having to deal with that washer.

This starter is off a 9.9 isn’t it?

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Yep, that was my diagnosis as soon as I started reading the problem also. That washer is also used on the 4hp side mount recoil starters.

cajuncook1

Yep, off the 9.9hp Evinrude. Will go back and investigate as gentlemen have suggested.

Thanks

cajuncook1

Guys, I went back and pulled it apart. Everything present and aligned. I made sure that bottom washer was present and anchor went through it. If I tighten it is sluggish and hard to turn and recoil, but when loosened some then it works fine. Concerns for the bolt backing out over time.

Is the top bolt supported to snug tight?

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Correct washer, or something somebody had just laying around? Maybe too thin??? If the washer is in there and is the correct one, then I dunno, something bent or something? The thru-bolt is supposed to be tight, no doubt about that.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Yeah, that bolt needs to be tight. Are you sure the locating tab in the bottom of the housing is properly located into the hole in the manifold mount? Perhaps the housing got bent during installation causing some binding. The other thing I have noticed, especially on the early models like yours is those springs tend to get real rusty. Everything tends to bind, and it recoils slowly. BUT, you seem to indicate that the starter worked OK before you pulled it off. In any event, I would certainly loosen the starter anchor bolt a few turns, then squirt some fogging oil/gear lube in between the plastic pulley and the rewind spring.
    Post some pictures if problems persist.
    Finally, don’t be afraid to just wrap the rewind rope one more time around the pulley to add a bit more tension.

beerman57

Replies: 596
    Topics: 126

I know I’ve had that same problem before, but now I can’t remember the cause/fix. I thought it was a missing nylon washer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.