1977 Evinrude 6hp losing spark

Home Forum Ask A Member 1977 Evinrude 6hp losing spark

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
    davesko

Replies: 94
    Topics: 34

Hi guys, I have a 1977 Evinrude 6hp that loses spark when you turn the throttle down. It has spark from the full throttle position down to the start position but anything lower it loses spark. I’m thinking the wiring coming from under the flywheel,anything else to look for while I’m under there? Should I splice the wires or replace them completely? Thank you, Dave

frankr
    frankr

Replies: 5143
    Topics: 48

So, how do you get it started? At full throttle setting? Or does it even start?

frankr
    frankr

Sure sounds like a wires problem. But make a quick check of the obvious, like a loose or mal-adjusted sensor or driver coil.
    Those wires are sort of special for flexibility, so I’d replace them.

davesko

It does start on the start position and runs fine but when turned down it stalls. Going to replace wiring. Thank you Frankl

Tubs
    Tubs

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 3018
    Topics: 168

Possibly—– Excessive ware in the mag
    plate where it rotates. Check to see if
    the points are closing in the slow position.

davesko

No points on this model.

frankr
    frankr

There really isn’t much to go wrong in there. The only moving parts are the flywheel and entire armature plate. The wires look kind of funky on the one I have.

davesko

I’m just going to rewire it. Pretty sure that the trouble. Thank you Frank

RICK EICHRODT

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 202
    Topics: 46

Before you "rewire" the mag plate, which is hard to do because all the wires lead to the sensors and charge coil, you should check for spark at the throttle position you describe. If it starts, then you have spark at that throttle position. Are you sure it is not leaning out and stalling for lack of fuel? Hook a spark checker that can test both coils and not just lay the spark plugs on the block because that motor will throw a 1/2" spark with ease. Once you have the spark tester in position, then move the throttle around and see if you get spark when you pull the starter rope. I would do this with the spark plugs out of the motor for ease of pulling. If you cannot find the spot where the spark dies out, then that is not the problem. Just saying, do the easy stuff first then go and do the difficult stuff.

chinewalker

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 459
    Topics: 17

Agreed – you may have a low speed circuit issue in your carb rather than a spark issue. Troubleshoot before surgery…

Mumbles
    Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4506
    Topics: 432

I’ve had trouble with these mags before and it was caused by a broken wire where the small plate crimps the harness to the mag plate. As the mag plate advances, all the flex is in this area compounding the problem.

I don’t have the manual in front of me giving the specs for the two coils but if you hook up an ohmmeter to the coils leads and slowly flex the wire harness, any jump or variation in the reading will confirm a break in the wiring. It’s also a good time to confirm the coils conditions to as they can go bad.

Attachments:

davesko

Thanks Mumbles, I will look out for that. As for carb isssues others have mentioned.I do a compression and spark test before I begin any new to me motor. It had no spark at all until the throttle was turned up. The wiring looked suspect right off which is what prompted me tp turn the throttle up while spark checking. This motor is exceptionally nice so I’m probably going to just put a new driver coil and sensor in which of course has new wires rather than splicing. Thanks for all your help. Dave

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3168

Yes, please don’t attempt to "replace the wiring", could be a very expensive project that does not solve your problem. Like Rick says, you need to do some more basic concrete troubleshooting that will help pinpoint what system is causing your problem. Like everyone has said, start with basic/simple inspections. I am not yet convinced you have an ignition problem.

davesko

Replaced the wiring,it was pinched like mumbles suggested. I already knew there was no spark on low throttle position before I even attempted to start the motor therefore eliminating a fuel issue. Great spark now and motor runs great. Thanks for the help. Dave

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3168

OK, so what wiring did you replace, and what component was affected?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.