Home Forum Ask A Member 1977 Evinrude 6hp losing spark

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    davesko
    Participant

Hi guys, I have a 1977 Evinrude 6hp that loses spark when you turn the throttle down. It has spark from the full throttle position down to the start position but anything lower it loses spark. I’m thinking the wiring coming from under the flywheel,anything else to look for while I’m under there? Should I splice the wires or replace them completely? Thank you, Dave

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

So, how do you get it started? At full throttle setting? Or does it even start?

frankr
        Participant

Sure sounds like a wires problem. But make a quick check of the obvious, like a loose or mal-adjusted sensor or driver coil.
          Those wires are sort of special for flexibility, so I’d replace them.

davesko
          Participant

It does start on the start position and runs fine but when turned down it stalls. Going to replace wiring. Thank you Frankl

The Boat House
            Participant

Possibly—– Excessive ware in the mag
              plate where it rotates. Check to see if
              the points are closing in the slow position.

davesko
              Participant

No points on this model.

frankr
                Participant

There really isn’t much to go wrong in there. The only moving parts are the flywheel and entire armature plate. The wires look kind of funky on the one I have.

davesko
                  Participant

I’m just going to rewire it. Pretty sure that the trouble. Thank you Frank

RICK EICHRODT
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Before you "rewire" the mag plate, which is hard to do because all the wires lead to the sensors and charge coil, you should check for spark at the throttle position you describe. If it starts, then you have spark at that throttle position. Are you sure it is not leaning out and stalling for lack of fuel? Hook a spark checker that can test both coils and not just lay the spark plugs on the block because that motor will throw a 1/2" spark with ease. Once you have the spark tester in position, then move the throttle around and see if you get spark when you pull the starter rope. I would do this with the spark plugs out of the motor for ease of pulling. If you cannot find the spot where the spark dies out, then that is not the problem. Just saying, do the easy stuff first then go and do the difficult stuff.

chinewalker
                      Participant

Agreed – you may have a low speed circuit issue in your carb rather than a spark issue. Troubleshoot before surgery…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.