Home Forum Ask A Member 1977 Evinrude 6hp losing spark

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

I’ve had trouble with these mags before and it was caused by a broken wire where the small plate crimps the harness to the mag plate. As the mag plate advances, all the flex is in this area compounding the problem.

I don’t have the manual in front of me giving the specs for the two coils but if you hook up an ohmmeter to the coils leads and slowly flex the wire harness, any jump or variation in the reading will confirm a break in the wiring. It’s also a good time to confirm the coils conditions to as they can go bad.

Attachments:

davesko
      Participant

Thanks Mumbles, I will look out for that. As for carb isssues others have mentioned.I do a compression and spark test before I begin any new to me motor. It had no spark at all until the throttle was turned up. The wiring looked suspect right off which is what prompted me tp turn the throttle up while spark checking. This motor is exceptionally nice so I’m probably going to just put a new driver coil and sensor in which of course has new wires rather than splicing. Thanks for all your help. Dave

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, please don’t attempt to "replace the wiring", could be a very expensive project that does not solve your problem. Like Rick says, you need to do some more basic concrete troubleshooting that will help pinpoint what system is causing your problem. Like everyone has said, start with basic/simple inspections. I am not yet convinced you have an ignition problem.

davesko
          Participant

Replaced the wiring,it was pinched like mumbles suggested. I already knew there was no spark on low throttle position before I even attempted to start the motor therefore eliminating a fuel issue. Great spark now and motor runs great. Thanks for the help. Dave

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so what wiring did you replace, and what component was affected?

davesko
              Participant

Replaced all 4 wires. Two to the driver coil and two to the sensor with rubberized wire. When I stripped the plastic sleeve off the four wires I found two barely together. There was splices under the flywheel and I cut them there and soldered the wires and covered in heat shrink. I then loomed them together and tucked them nicely to avoid chaffing. Had it out today for about two hours and runs wonderfully. I appreciate the help. Thank you Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.