Home Forum Ask A Member 1978 Johnson 75 hp Stinger stalls when throttled up

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    mgsolakis
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The motor runs well at idle and will go into gear and run at slow speed but when you try to increase the throttle it will stall.

pappy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What boat is it on and what propeller do you have on it?

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Watch the throttle arm on the side of the motor as you increase the throttle. Most of the initial movement will be the timer base (spark advance) with only a bit of carburetor levers movement. Once it reaches full spark advance, then the carburetors really open up. What I’m saying is if the carburetors are opening up before spark advance takes place, it will stall. The usual culprit is a sticky timer base.

mgsolakis
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Looks like the carbs are opening after the spark advance. I’m cleaning the carbs today and will see if that helps.

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The carbs are probably just going to be dirty but make sure the nozzle gaskets are in place. I remember a DIYourselfer who didn’t put them in a 70 and it had the same symptom.

Long live American manufacturing!

mgsolakis
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

What are the nozzle gaskets?

dan-in-tn
                Participant

US Member

The reason Pappy asked you about the WOT RPMs the motor will turn is because the 75 hp motor has a very peak power curve. Low end power is poor. Depends on the type of boat, but if the boat needs a bit of power to put it on plane, then you have to get the RPMs up or it will just stall. Now all systems on the motor have to be correct, but we (Pappy and I)wanted you to be aware of the characteristics of this motor. It needs to turn a full 6000 at top end to have any bottom end power. The fact the it starts and idles well gives you some idea that the engine may be OK. I had a ’78 75hp on a skiff and ran a 15" prop. We used it for trawling. It would run 6200 empty, but loaded we needed that to get out of the hole. We never ran that boat WOT. It was a great engine as long as you knew its limitations.Super on fuel!

Dan in TN

PS: Sorry I could never figure out how to get that TNT to you for under $100!

mgsolakis
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

No problem on the TNT Dan, I got one and installed it. As for the motor I cleaned the carbs and still no change. But I did notice the jet in the bottom bowl of the bottom carb one of the sides of the jet is broken off. The part you turn to get it out. Could that be the problem.

dan-in-tn
                    Participant

US Member

No, unless it was clogged and then the motor probably wouldn’t idle to well on that cylinder. If you can get that jet out I have replacements. I know I can mail you one of those! Just let me know the number on the jet and letter, should be a D jet?
                      Probably damaged because someone didn’t have the proper tool to remove/install it with. I believe someone has shown how to make a jet tool since the new site has been up. Maybe Mumbles. The official tool is expensive. I have made some out of Craftsman round Phillips screwdrivers. The smaller ones with the shaft that will fit in the carb jet bore. A small ease out should remove the broke jet, but you will have to drill it out some to get even a small ease out in. The worst that could happen is have to replace the carb bowl. Of course you can just leave it be if the jet looks clean and the proper size compared to the others.

Dan in TN

mgsolakis
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

It looks pretty good. For now if it’s not causing the problem I’ll leave it in. What else can I try? What about the screws in the top of the carbs? Is there an ajustment for those?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.