Home Forum Ask A Member 1979 Johnson 6hp Rewind Starter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    fisherman6
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m working on the dreaded spiral rewind starter on a 1979 6hp Johnson. The drum and spring are in excellent condition and I’m trying to put that assembly back into place on the powerhead. Not sure of the best / correct way to do it. I have always moved these out of the way to access the carb. The owner of this motor removed it to access the carb and didn’t get it back together right. It let go on his first attempt to start it and now I have it to fix it for him. Not sure if the powerhead needs to come off to get the required access to feed the hook on the spring through the slot? Is there some other trick to it? I know these are nothe anyone’s favorite starter to work on. This is my first one that I have had to put back together. Any help is appreciated as always.
      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Remove powerhead?? Heck no. Easy. Pull the spring out a bit and hook it into the lower retainer. Do you need the complete instructions? I can upload and post them.

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi Frank,
          I got the spring in the slot. I did figure out there was certainly no need to remove to powerhead. Complete instructions would be great. The last thing I want to do is break something on this motor. Especially since it isn’t mine.
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

frankr
          Participant

The first one may scare you a bit, but they actually are pretty easy. Certainly not any harder than the old 3-pawl starters

free upload image

Oops! I just accidently deleted the second two pages. To be continued………

Trying this again,

image hosting over 10mb

upload pic

frankr
            Participant

For better spring life, wind it a couple turns less than the 16-1/2 specified.

fisherman6
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Awesome! Thanks so much, Frank! 😀

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have done 2 of the 3 pawl starters now. I believe you’re right, this one won’t be that bad. I was afraid of over winding the spring too. 13 was as many as I went and that wasn’t enough. 15 would probably work fine.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

rjoynt
                  Participant

I have a collection of old tools and found that an old brace ( if you know what a brace is ) with a wide slot screwdriver works wonderful. Very easy to keep the count of how many turns you’ve made.
                    Enjoy.

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yup I know what a brace is and I can see how that would be helpful for this job. I have a wide screwdriver that I use for gearcase drain plugs. It is the old style.screwdriver with the two wood panels for the handle and the entire length of the tool is one forging. That helps count the revs too and it has great leverage for a straight screwdriver.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

PugetSoundBoater
                      Participant

I had a heck of a time doing this install once ,the wide screwdriver would slip out of the slot…start over. Then I started looking at what needed to be done.
                        Figured it out. The easy way to wind the spring up is to put a pair of slip joint pliers etc under the pinion gear holding it into the flywheel gear. Then turn the flywheel clockwise while counting the turns of the spring. Get those bolts in quick when you get the proper amount of turns on the spring. It’s been 3 years since I did it , as I recall this worked great. I wondered at the time if the OMC engineers or mechanics in the field have figured this method out, and sent out a service bulletin.
                        Please correct me if I’m incorrect as i did this 3 years ago .EDIT :clarification

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                        Robbie Robertson

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.