Home Forum Ask A Member 1979 Johnson Seahorse 15

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    reiki4you
    Participant

Hello all: I am considering purchasing this motor and was wondering if anyone had any information on this year and model. It is a longshaft (20 inch) and is in reasonably good shape. Any particular problems with this year? Thanks in advance. Thomas

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I guess it depends who you ask. I, personally think this vintage of these engines are great. This year engine (please make sure it is a 79-not some other year) has the nice CD ignition and the simple/reliable metal bowl carb. The powerheads and gearcases on these engines are very rugged, they can take a beating and still work well.
        Now, for the not so great things. Is this a salt water motor? If so, there is a $2.00 upper water tube grommet that creates a cooling blockage that is labor intensive to repair. The upper motor mounts should be checked as well, that is a big/expensive job. The lousy plastic pieces parts, especially throttle related are expensive and prone to wear/poor repairs.
        Like anything else, you should do all the normal inspections prior to purchase. Any signs of overheat on the block, is the white paint discolored badly/ignition wires/harness melted to block? Do a compression test and check the gear lube for freshness/lack of water. Any broken/bent castings? How much do they want for the engine?
        Feel free to post pictures, along with the model number if we can help further.

reiki4you
        Participant

Thanks so much for the insight. It has always been in fresh water and compression is good. I will definitely examine it more closely. They are asking $350 but it can probably be had for $300. Thanks again Fleetwin!

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

$300 is a good price for a nice fresh water engine. But, please check it over thoroughly first. Again, we encourage you to post pictures or ask more specific questions once you see the engine.

jerry-ahrens
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Years ago I had a 1979 9.9 Evinrude. It was one of the best motors we ever had. We ran it for quite a few years with zero problems.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.