Home Forum Ask A Member 1981 evinrude 35hp, starts, runs, won’t shut off

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Hiawatha
    Participant

US Member

just installed a new switch, black/yellow to raised M, black to M, red to B, yellow/red to S, purple to C, not using A at this time, all 5 wires going to big connector on motor, with switch on off position i can kill the motor by clipping wire onto ground on battery and touching black/yellow wire on motor side of big connector. this switch shows one of the M’s needs to go directly to ground, however one wiring diagram shows that M going to the motor going through big connector, another wiring diagram shows black wire coming to switch goes to ground then another wire going from ground to M, where maybe a kill switch can be added from ground to kill switch to other M…
      another note, the switch starting from B at 6:00 o’clock clockwise goes M, I, C(middle), A, M, B…. this is not what was on the directions for this switch, the direction say starting from B clockwise M, C, I, S, M, B
      sorry about the rambling, my brain is fried by overthinking this, what am i missing, the answer is going to be easy but i have brain fry
      thanks dave
      gowen mi

jerry-ahrens
      Participant

US Member

You may have the wrong harness for your particular motor, as there are different ones, even though they will all plug into the engine harness. To stop your engine, you are essentially shorting the black/yellow tracer wire [from the ignition power pack] through the key switch to the black/ground wire. You could run a continuity test on each wire… the black/yellow wire at the key switch should have continuity all the way back through the harness, engine harness connector plug, and all the way over to the power pack. Disconnect the anphenol [rubber] connector at the power pack, and look for the black/yellow wire. Now connect one lead from your ohm meter to the black yellow wire, and the other meter lead to the black/yellow wire on the key switch. You should show continuity… Before the test I would disconnect the wire at both ends. Then you can test the black wire at the key switch for continuity to ground. That black wire will also run through the harness and plug at the motor, and will ground somewhere on the powerhead. You could also have a faulty key switch I suppose… With the key in the ”off position, you should have continuity between both ”M” terminals.. Hope I made sense with all of that!

jerry-ahrens
        Participant

US Member

I forgot to mention, be careful when working or testing with the black/yellow wire, or better known as the ”stop circuit” on the ignition power pack. If you touch this wire or it’s connecting termilals on the ignition switch, with the engine running, you WILL get jolted. Even after the engine is switched off, I would groung out that particular wire to be sure the power pack is completely discharged to ground…. I’ve grabbed a few of those [with the engine not running] and received a pretty good shock, enough to get your attention.

Hiawatha
          Participant

US Member

i did test switch, M to M has continuity with switch off, no continuity with switch on, i will be testing continuity of both wires(black and black/yellow), i can kill the motor with a wire from battery ground to engine side of large plug touching black/yellow tine, will update, thanks for the help and sorry about the rambling start, lol, this will be an easy fix with a clear head

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well why did you replace the key switch, did the engine not shut off with the key before replacement? Or, is this a new symptom after key switch replacement?
              I’m not sure I understand just what you are describing in terms of testing procedures…

Hiawatha
              Participant

US Member

i bought this pontoon in middle of winter, just started working on it this spring, put the key in and didn’t fit, wrong key, so bought a new switch, not sure if this pontoon had problems or not. just ran a ground wire from ground on switch to the battery ground, tried to shut off and it kept running, so i had to pull apart the big plug and touch the black/yellow prong which is on the motor side of plug and it grounded it just fine shutting it down. just seems like a simple problem, to wires heading to motor for shut off, black/yellow and black(ground), seems like ground is failing in motor, i tested switch also with multi meter for voltage from B and M(ground) getting 12.6 volts with switch off, shouldn’t that tell me good ground?

Hiawatha
                Participant

US Member

i believe i found the culprit after clearing my head i ran a ground from battery and tested motor side of large connector black/yellow to see if it would kill, it did so i tested killing the motor on the switch side of large connector and no kill, i believe the black/yellow wire is not connecting within the large connector, would you all agree?
                  dave

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

just ohm out the individual wires to find the culprit if you think you have an open . I once had a broken wire inside a large side connector on my merc 50 … it probably broke due to repeated flexing .. I spliced it up retaped the whole thing shut

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                      quote vidaliaman:

i believe i found the culprit after clearing my head i ran a ground from battery and tested motor side of large connector black/yellow to see if it would kill, it did so i tested killing the motor on the switch side of large connector and no kill, i believe the black/yellow wire is not connecting within the large connector, would you all agree?
                      dave

It definitely would not be the first time that has happened, that’s for sure. Used to see that, a lot! Be careful like Jerry says. There’s usually around a couple of hundred volts on that wire when it’s running or even when the engine has been stopped without using the key…..

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hmmm. OK, so when you short the black ground pin to the black/yellow pin on the engine side of the plug, the engines stops, correct? If so, then it is safe to assume engine wiring and powerpack are OK. Next, I would check these two terminals on the control box side of the big plug with an ohm meter. With the key switch turned "off" the black yellow and black ground lead should show close to zero ohms resistance.
                        There are a few other problems to consider here also. What color is the big plug on the engine? Do the colors match on both engine and control box side? You can’t mix the black and red plugs, different wiring locations on the pins. It is right around this year, 1981, that the plug colors and wiring changed for this engine series.
                        Finally, you just bought this rig, and never ran it prior to changing the key switch. It would be nice to know if this problem was occurring before you changed the key switch….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.